Q. I have blurred vision, pain in eyes and swelling on the right cheek. Am I having sinusitis?

I have a blurry right eye, pain in eyes and slight swelling on the right cheek for a week. Can this be a sinusitis issue?

Allergy Specialist Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

Sinusitis complications can result in cellulitis around the eye, pain and decreased vision. Mostly ethmoidal sinusitis can cause this problem. Internal to cheek is maxillary sinus which if infected normally does not cause visual disturbances. However, any maxillary sinus mass pushing the globe of the eye upwards can cause visual problems. To be sure of the same we need to take a CT (computed tomography) scan of paranasal sinuses to see the exact anatomy of your sinuses and also any pathology present in the same.

For how long have you been having the cheek swelling? Do you have pain? Any loose tooth, painful tooth, or infected tooth? Any difficulty in swallowing or breathing? Any color change of the overlying skin of cheek?

Have you suffered a sinusitis problem before? Do you get headaches or facial pains? Have you had any treatment for the same before?

Regarding eye problems, I suggest you consult with an ophthalmologist in our panel for the best treatment. Meanwhile, kindly elaborate on the details I have asked you so that we can find if indeed you have a sinus problem that might be causing the blurry eye.

CT scan PNS (paranasal sinus).
Complete blood count.

Avoid dust smoke winds.
Take plenty of warm water.
Take food rich in all nutrients required by the body.

If any previous prescriptions or hospital discharge cards or investigation reports are present, and if relevant to this problem, kindly attach those with the next query.

| 

I was feeling difficulty while swallowing, now it is fine. I have a headache for about a week. I have never been treated for sinus. My left eye is fine, blurred vision is in the right eye and I have pain in my eyes.

#

I understand from your description of the swelling and associated symptoms, it is mostly of infective etiology. In such patients, I usually give a course of antibiotics and anti-inflammatory drugs. A course of Amoxclav (Amoxycillin and Clavulanic acid) 625 mg taken twice a day after food for five days with Trypsin-Chymotrypsin (Chymoral Forte) taken twice a day for three days after food should suffice for the swelling. For pain take a tablet of paracetamol 650 mg SOS and do hot fomentation over the cheek if the swelling is external. You may also take steam inhalation.

If with the above you are not getting relief then, please consult with an otolaryngologist for the cheek swelling, as it may need some investigations and further clinical examination.

|