Smell And Taste Disturbances

Does sinusitis usually cause loss of taste?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 40 year old female, non smoker. I had a sinus infection as a result of cold nearly two months ago. I was put on Doxycycline for two weeks and then a steroid nasal spray when the inflammation in my nose had not resided. I can smell things quite clearly up close to my nose but canno...  Read Full »

Allergy Specialist, General Practitioner, ENT Otolaryngologist, Family Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. We will help you alleviate the problem. I understand that you are a 40 year old otherwise healthy lady suffering from sinus infection. You perceive smells close up your nose but have decreased taste sensation. You are worried about when the taste sensation will return a...  Read Full »

What are the causes of bad nose smell?

Query: Hello doctor,Why do I have this bad smell coming from my nose? It is embarrassing. People around me smell it all the time. I do not have my mouth open and people smell it soon as I walk in the room. What is it?   Read Full »

Dr. Subhadeep Karanjai

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The first thing that comes to my mind is a disease called atrophic rhinitis. Here, the mucous membrane and structures inside the nose shrink and the nasal cavity is filled with crusts, which get infected and smell. In this condition, the patient has decreased sense of s...  Read Full »

Antibiotics and nasal spray did not support my loss of taste and smell. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I had an extreme cold last month. My symptoms are vomit, nausea, migraine, nasal congestion, and dry cough. And now it has been almost three weeks that I cannot smell or taste anything. I went to the doctor, and he gave me antibiotics and nasal spray. I am taking those medications for...  Read Full »

Dr. Mehak Agarwal

Diabetologist, Family Physician, ENT Otolaryngologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Did he start you on oral steroids as well? Are you a diabetic? Please reply to my questions.  Read Full »

When will my sense of smell return?

Query: Hello doc. I have a concern regarding of my condition. Its been 1 month since i lost my smell but i can totally taste the food that ive eat. Im Negative at Covid test. I dont have a sinusitis and i dont Head Injury because Its all just started when im taking a cold shower and got a mild headache ...  Read Full »

Dr. B Vageesh Padiyar

Answer: Hi! I have a great deal of suspicion on the test conducted and i feel the covid test was falsely negative. The reason behind this is that all your features go in favour of the mild illness associated with the viral illness. Getting a rt pcr test done now wont be of much value, but if you get teste...  Read Full »

What causes a dry nose and loss of taste and smell?

Query: Good Afternoon, I am having a dry nose right now, or maybe its a sinusitis, and also a quite cough. I also dont have a sense of taste and smell. I am currently applying a nasal spray and do steam theraphy. Can you help me, what else should I do to feel better ? Im a female, 24 years old. 5'3 in he...  Read Full »

Dr. Sugreev Singh

Internal Medicine Physician, General Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi ma’am Welcome to icliniq Thank you for writing me Ma’am as you mentioned sinusitis and you are having it since 2-3 days so it’s acute it usually gets better in few days. So far you are using nasal spray and paracetamol That’s great mainly sinusitis is caused by allergy or bacterial inf...  Read Full »

How to get rid of deodorant smell and taste after accidentally consuming it?

Query: Accidentally consumed deodorant and i tend to smell and taste that from past one week inspite of brushing many a times and gargles  Read Full »

Dr. B Vageesh Padiyar

Answer: Hi! Persistent smell and taste after exposure of the deodrant or any strong substance is a known entity. There is absolutely nothing that you need to worry. I would recommend you to use one nasal spray called duonase or its equivalent 2 puffs in both nostrils separately 2 times a day for 2 weeks. ...  Read Full »

Why am I not able to restore my loss of smell?

Query: Hello doctor, I have lost my smell. I have consulted many ENT doctors for the past two years but could not resolve the problem. I also have a frequent cold with sneezing. Particularly in the morning, severe sneezing occurs. Please help.  Read Full »

Dr. Penchala Prasad Kandikattu

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The possible causes for loss of smell are 1. Rhinitis. 2. Sinusitis. 3. Ethmoidal polyps. 4. Neurodegenerative diseases. 5. Vitamin B12, and Folic acid deficiency. 6. Tumor of the CNS (central nervous system). 7. Trauma. But in your case possible the cause is...  Read Full »

Can asymptomatic Coronavirus carrier experience loss of smell?

Query: Hello doctor, On March 1st I flew to Utah from Texas and developed cold symptoms after three days. It was a normal cold, but as it was almost gone (no more congestion, did not feel sick anymore), I lost the sense of taste and smell overnight. I have not had a sense of taste or smell for 11 days now...  Read Full »

Dr. Mehak Agarwal

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I appreciate your timely picking up of the signs and reaching out to us. We have two scenarios. First, is that you have Coronavirus infection and the cold, allergy, and loss of smell are due to it unless you develop more severe symptoms like fever, temperature, brea...  Read Full »

Why do I get symptoms like weight gain, fatigue and altered taste with negative HCG test?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 25-year-old female. I have been experiencing worsening symptoms over the past three months. I was thinking pregnancy but that was tested negative with a gynecologist and PC, two blood labs for HCG and one CBC, as well as a thyroid and hormone test. My symptoms are: frequent ...  Read Full »

General Medicine Physician, General Practitioner, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your symptoms apart from migraines are due to nerve involvement causing parosmia (altered taste sensation) most probably due to Vitamin B12 deficiency. Methylcobalamine (or vitamin B12) supplement 1500 mcg per day for a few weeks is usually advised and you are already t...  Read Full »

Will Bupropion cause loss of smell?

Query: Hello doctor, I need your help?  Read Full »

Dr. Suresh Kumar G D

Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician, Psychiatrist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I am here to help you.  Read Full »