Q. Kindly suggest ways to cure the snoring.

Sometimes, I snore at night. It disturbs my wife. If I turn on my side, the snoring stops. But can you suggest ways to cure the snoring?

Cardiology General Medicine Internal Medicine
#

This is likely related to obstructive sleep apnea. Do you also have any symptoms like interrupted sleep, unrefreshed sleep, morning headaches, daytime sleepiness, etc.? These may be the associated symptoms. It is a condition characterized by obstruction of upper airway especially during sleep due to lax airway and narrowing of airway due to obesity or excessive fat deposition. You need to undergo ENT examination if you have any symptoms of nasal stuffiness, recurrent tonsillitis to rule nasal causes of obstruction.

Thyroid function test, polysomnography which is a sleep study to confirm the diagnosis and extent of disease, the pressure of CPAP needed. In treatment, the first thing is weight loss. You need to have low fat, calorie diet in order to loose weight. Cure for this is weight loss. Secondly, CPAP which is mask and device, and pressure during inspiration and expiration during sleep in order to keep your airways patent and avoid this from happening. Also, regular exercises are very important. Chest physiotherapy and yoga will be helpful. So, you either get this done or visit nearby sleep specialist or pulmonologist.

| 

Is there a solution for heavy snoring?

Query: Hello doctor,I am suffering from a heavy snoring issue. With this issue, I am not able to enjoy with my friends when going on trips and even when someone visits our apartment. Is there a solution? My snoring is very severe.  Read Full »

What is the reason for chest pain after using CPAP?

Query: Hi doctor, I have obstructive sleep apnea and using CPAP for a year. I feel chest pain in the mornings. The same kind of pain is felt whenever I sleep without the mask. My BP, sugar and ECGs were tested before six months back and they were normal. What is the cause and remedy?  Read Full »