Q. How can I reduce social anxiety developed in me?

I am an introvert. I have social phobia and anxiety. My hands and feet start to sweat, and my voice chokes when I am required to speak in front of people. Because of this, I have lack of confidence and self-esteem which has developed a feeling of worthlessness and loss of hope in me. I am unable to concentrate on my work. My sleep has also increased. Having more amount of sleep is also not enough for me. I always have the feeling to sleep more. I have never consulted a doctor about this problem so far, and I have never taken any medication for the same.

Psychiatry Psychotherapy Sexology
#

I can understand your problem. A lot of individuals have social anxiety. The anxiety of being judged, restlessness on speaking in front of people, anticipatory anxiety what others will think about you, reduced confidence and depressive symptoms secondary to social anxiety are commonly seen in individuals. For social anxiety, both medicines and psychosocial treatment is advised. Have the practice to speak in front of the mirror, and this will help to boost your confidence. Try to reassure yourself that nothing is wrong, and no one is judging you. Breathing exercises like deep breathing, and breath for a count of six for two minutes. It will help to control the heightened anxiety.

Progressive muscle relaxation exercise can also help to boost confidence. With time and practice, you will learn to control the tone of muscles which increases during anxiety. You can follow this during the events of anxiety. This will keep you calm.

Medicines like beta blockers are my first choice for anxiety. Propranolol can be used in anxiety-provoking situations. The drug is safe to use, and there is no need to be taken regularly. If the anxiety persists even after that, then medications like SSRIs (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors) can be used. The drugs should be used periodically, and it will help to treat anxiety. You can visit a psychiatrist for help regarding medicines if there is a need.

| 

What is the strength of Propranolol that can be consumed?

Psychiatry Psychotherapy Sexology
#

Usually, the dose should be 10 to 20 mg. It is consumed when it is needed. This will help to stabilize the anxiety. Drink plenty of water to maintain the blood pressure. Have a high protein food rich in complex carbs and low in fats. Take Omega 3 fatty acid foods like walnuts, salmon or sardine fish which will help to boost your mood and reduce anxiety. Just remain confident and avoid anticipating things. You will be alright.

|