Q. Is it safe to take both Adderall and Propranolol?

Published on Aug 16, 2018 and last reviewed on: Sep 20, 2019

Is it safe to take both Adderall and Propranolol? I have ADHD and I am taking Adderall. I have been asked to speak about my career, but I get paralyzing stage fear every time I speak in front of a crowd.

A psychiatrist prescribed me Propranolol, but this does not seem like a safe combination. It is a kind of like how beta blockers are avoided when people have used cocaine.

I spent a year after college as a research assistant in an emergency department. Please help.

Critical Care Physician Diabetology General Medicine Internal Medicine Medical Gastroenterology Nephrology Pulmonology (Asthma Doctors) Rheumatology
#

We are here to help you.

The fear and uncomfortable feel of standing and speaking in front of crowd is due to anxiety only, which can be an independent entity or can be associated with ADHD (attention deficit hyperactivity disorder) itself.

Propranolol is going to reduce anxiety, but yes it should be avoided if you have been using cocaine or have any respiratory issue associated.

In my opinion the best drug for you would be SSRI (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor) like Paroxetine which will not interact with Adderall (Amphetamine) or even with your cocaine issue.

• To help you better provide me more details. Since when are you facing this issue? How often do you use cocaine?
  • How is your sleep? Do you feel problem while doing other works also or just in front of people?
  • Do you feel palpitations during that time? Are you getting any effect with Propranolol? Revert with these details for a better help.

Revert back with the answers to a cardiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

I have never had cocaine in my life. Just, I was trying to explain that my reason for concern was based on job experience. My question is only is it safe to take both Adderall and Propranolol?

#

Yes, both drugs can be taken together. They do not have any significant interaction.

• Propranolol should be avoided in people with lung or heart disease as you must have seen during your emergency posting.
  • The people who take cocaine are at high risk of developing anginal pains and that can get aggravated by the use of Propranolol.
  • As far as your particular question is concerned, yes, you can take both of them together if you do not have any pre-existing asthma or lung disease.

For further information consult a cardiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

Generalized Anxiety Disorder(GAD)

Article Overview: A 35-year-old woman came to me with a chief complaint of muscle tension. She stated that she has experienced a considerable amount of muscle tension her entire life, but it has become increasingly worse over the last 12 months. Read Article

The above mentioned patient is suffering from Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD). GAD can be defined as anxiety and worry about several events and activities for a majority of the day. The anxiety and worry of GAD differs from normal anxiety by its excessiveness, the difficu...  Read Article

How to prevent the occurence of migraine headache?

Query: Hi doctor,I am 35 years old. I was suffering from a migraine headache for the last 15 years. Actually, it was not continuous but I recollect the durations once every five years for three months. I was taking Sebilium every night prescribed by the doctor. Again the headache is starting now. Please su...  Read Full >>

Dr. Y Siva Roja

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have reviewed your query. Drugs like Sibelium (containing drug named Flunarizine) is used to prevent the occurrence of migraine attacks. Drugs like Naproxen are used to relieve the pain during attacks of a migraine or a few other kinds of headaches. You need to be...  Read Full

What is the prescribed dosage of Naxdom during pregnancy for migraine?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 32 years old. I have been suffering from a migraine for over five to six years or more. I have been sensitive to light since childhood. I used to take Migranil initially. Around two years ago, I met a neurologist and he advised me Amitone at night and Naxdom 500 in case of emerge...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your symptoms are classically suggestive of a migraine only. Now, migraine can be well controlled with medicines and lifestyle changes. My choice remains Amitone (Amitryptiline) along with Flunarizine. Side effect profile of Amitone contains mostly sedation and weight g...  Read Full