Social Anxiety Disorder

Why do I get so intimidated by others?

Query: Male, 38 Years Old, Married, one child. Suffering following problems: difficult to sleep in night. always feel sleepy Memory Weak, forgets things very easily, low concentration, lethargic confusion in decision, low self esteem and low confidence, feel that i am good for nothing feels no one like...  Read Full »

Dr. Parth Nagda

Answer: Hello sir. Your symptoms are typical that are seen in major depressive disorder. It is very common and happens to about 1 in 4 males and 1 in 8 females. It happens due to reduced levels of certain neurotransmitters such as serotonin which reduce the stress handling capacity of the brain. Medicines...  Read Full »

Can I consult a psychiatrist for my memory loss?

Query: Hi doctor, I feel like I am in a constant brain fog state. I have terrible social anxiety as I cannot remember anything to talk about. This has kept me from truly pursuing anything. I do not want to look stupid. In school, I usually zone out and often forget the names of people who I already met. So...  Read Full »

Psychiatrist, Sexologist, Psychotherapist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, a psychiatrist can help with memory loss. First of all considering your age, the memory loss you have is not due to organic causes. But, most likely due to poor focus and concentration, which in turn due to social anxiety and depression. Brain fog like state and s...  Read Full »

I have nervousness and trembling while facing crowd with social phobia and anxiety. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 50-year-old male. I am feeling nervous as my legs get trembled whenever I face crowd or in the middle of the crowd. I am suffering with this fashion for the past 20 years. I consulted a number of psychiatrists and used number of anxiolytic (Alprazolam and Clonazepam) antidepres...  Read Full »

Andrologist, General Practitioner, Geriatrician, Psychiatrist, Psychologist Counsellor, Psychotherapist, Sexologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. First of all, I like to confirm that the mentioned symptoms and problems are clearly indicative of social anxiety disorder also known as social phobia. Having said this I completely understand that social phobia is very much disabling for almost everyone, particularl...  Read Full »

Please suggest ways to control social anxiety.

Query: Hi doctor, My social anxiety is severe and disabling me. I would really like to gain adequate control of it. I have attached a brief history¬†of my psychiatric illnesses and previously tried pharmacotherapies. Is there anything else you would suggest?  Read Full »

Dr. Rajyaguru

Neuro Surgeon, Neurologist, Spine Surgeon

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your issue. I have read the attached document carefully (attachment removed to protect patient identity). As I can make out, over a period of time, your other symptoms have resolved quite a bit, but the social anxiety, emotional instability and lack of flu...  Read Full »

How to overcome social anxiety?

Query: Hi doctor, I searched the symptoms of social anxiety online and I think I have it. I am a student and it has been affecting my daily life, especially my school life. I struggle to have new friends and do tasks that require social interaction like class presentations. I tried changing my behavior, t...  Read Full »

Dr. Parth Nagda

Answer: Hello. Thank you for your query This is very common and about 10-15 percent of people have this problem. It is also very easily treatable. You will need to visit a psychiatrist and he will prescribe you SSRI type of medicines (such as escitalopram 10mg, or fluoxetine 20mg etc.) which will help with...  Read Full »

Please suggest the best medicine for my psychological disorders.

Query: Hello doctor, I would like to ask you about treatment recommendations (maybe a few variations) for my condition. I have bipolar disorder type II, social and generalized disorder, and panic disorder. However, I am in constant depression for one year. I do not cycle anymore if I do, my hypomania is ...  Read Full »

Dr. Parth Nagda

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Thank you for your detailed query and history. With regards to your anxiety symptoms, you have tried out SSRI (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor) and SNRI (serotonin-norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor) class of medications. So, I would like to suggest you try a...  Read Full »

What are the drugs used for social anxiety?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 33 year old male. I have been suffering from social anxiety for the past one year. Although I was extremely shy as a child and up to about 25 years of age. After that, I overcame my social anxiety and became confident. I managed somehow not to care about other peoples opinion abou...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have read your query and understand your concern. Social anxiety disorder is really a disturbing condition, but can be controlled with proper medicines and behavior therapy. Anxiety disorders occur in episodes and sometimes follow waxing and waning course. You had a...  Read Full »

Is Pregabalin the right medicine for social and performance anxiety?

Query: Age: 30 Gender: Male Medications: Started Lyrica (pregabalin) yesterday 25mg (moving to 50mg tomorrow). Issues: Generalized Anxiety (Social and Performance anxiety). Query: Did my GP prescribe the right meds? I mainly suffer with social and performance anxiety (talking to people, talking in groups, ...  Read Full »

Dr. Parth Nagda

Answer: Hello, yes pregabalin is an SNRI class of medicine. You have tried ssri and tcas. Snris do help in anxiety disorders. Per se, pregabalin isn't the best ssri for anxiety as such. It's more useful for neuropathic pain at doses of 75 mg or so. For anxiety it should be around 100 or 150mg. If this does...  Read Full »

Please suggest a drug with less side effect than Paroxetine for treating social anxiety disorder.

Query: Hello doctor, I was affected by a social anxiety disorder. For the last two years, I first used Inderal for one year and then Paroxetine (SSRI) 20 mg for the second year. When I used SSRI for one year, my problem fully recovered, and later on, by doctors advise, I left the tablets. Now, 25 days pass...  Read Full »

Dr. Suresh Kumar G D

Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician, Psychiatrist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You are reporting a relapse of some social anxiety symptoms after discontinuation of Paroxetine SSRI (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor) medication. Depending on the extent of your social anxiety symptoms, you have two options: 1) If anxiety is predominantly s...  Read Full »

What is the recommended dose of Inderal for social anxiety disorder?

Query: Hello doctor, I was affected by a social anxiety disorder. In the past two years, first, I used Inderal for one year and then Paroxetine 20 mg (SSRI) tablets. There was the best improvement in my confidence. Now from the last two weeks, I have not taken any happen. Do I want to use Inderal tablets ...  Read Full »

Dr. Suresh Kumar G D

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. How long have you been having social anxiety problems? How severe and persistent are the anxiety symptoms? If anxiety is predominantly situational, like before giving public presentations, then you can try Inderal (Propranolol) occasionally as needed. Contra-indicati...  Read Full »