Social Anxiety Disorder

Please suggest a drug with less side effect than Paroxetine for treating social anxiety disorder.

Query: Hello doctor, I was affected by a social anxiety disorder. For the last two years, I first used Inderal for one year and then Paroxetine (SSRI) 20 mg for the second year. When I used SSRI for one year, my problem fully recovered, and later on, by doctors advise, I left the tablets. Now, 25 days pass...  Read Full »

Dr. Suresh Kumar G D

Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician, Psychiatrist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You are reporting a relapse of some social anxiety symptoms after discontinuation of Paroxetine SSRI (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor) medication. Depending on the extent of your social anxiety symptoms, you have two options: 1) If anxiety is predominantly s...  Read Full »

What is the recommended dose of Inderal for social anxiety disorder?

Query: Hello doctor, I was affected by a social anxiety disorder. In the past two years, first, I used Inderal for one year and then Paroxetine 20 mg (SSRI) tablets. There was the best improvement in my confidence. Now from the last two weeks, I have not taken any happen. Do I want to use Inderal tablets ...  Read Full »

Dr. Suresh Kumar G D

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. How long have you been having social anxiety problems? How severe and persistent are the anxiety symptoms? If anxiety is predominantly situational, like before giving public presentations, then you can try Inderal (Propranolol) occasionally as needed. Contra-indicati...  Read Full »

Does staying indoor excessively cause social anxiety?

Query: Hello doctor,Does staying indoors excessively cause social anxiety?  Read Full »

Dr. Suresh Kumar G D

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Staying indoors excessively does not directly cause social anxiety. It is possible that having social anxiety will prevent you from going out more, which in turn makes anxiety more prominent. Talk to your parents and family about your anxiety so that they can underst...  Read Full »

I have social anxiety and is it an essential one to get treated?

Query: Hello doctor, I think I have social anxiety, but I am not sure if it is affecting my life enough to do anything about it. I do not want to tell my mom, but I am sure therapy would help as I am very insecure, have a negative mindset, and generally I am very paranoid of what others think. I do not kno...  Read Full »

Dr. Punya Mulky

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand you are quite worried and frightened about your problems. Social anxiety is common, and it is all about what it does that affects the people more. Your worries about your inability to hold on to a job and avoiding social situations are valid. It is very ...  Read Full »

What can be done for anxiety while in crowd?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 28 years old and weigh 90 kg. My problem is anxiety. I feel anxious whenever I have to deal with my boss, attend a meeting, speak in front of a crowd. I feel breathlessness and discomfort. My voice starts to break. I am doing well at my job and recently got a promotion. However, ...  Read Full »

Dr. Aneel Kumar

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your history reflects social anxiety disorder but that needs detailed assessment. You need medication as well as psychotherapy session, medications are required to control the symptoms but medications has some limitations like it would not change your personality, think...  Read Full »

I am constantly worrying about little things and I am emotional most of the time. Please advice.

Query: Hello doctor, I am constantly worrying about little things and I am emotional most of the time. I feel tired all day. Please advice.  Read Full »

Dr. Suresh Kumar G D

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Generalized anxiety, social anxiety, and related low mood symptoms are quite common in adolescents. It is positive that you are insightful about your symptoms and seeking help. Have an open talk with your parents and trusted family members about your worries and diff...  Read Full »

Why do I blush when I get too much attention?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 18 years old and I have been having big problems with making friends since I was 7. I go to school and I do not talk at all (only if someone or teacher asks me something). I just cannot find any topics to talk to people and the worst is that I do not know what should I say back w...  Read Full »

Psychiatrist, Sexologist, Psychotherapist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. First of all, this is not a serious mental issue. Just remain relaxed. You have social anxiety most likely and this anxiety is resulting in symptoms like blushing when you are getting attention, difficulty in making friends, etc. This is social anxiety and a lot of i...  Read Full »

Is there any treatment for social anxiety?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 29 year old male. I have been suffering from social anxiety. Following are the consequences that I am facing through in my daily life: I am not at all confident to talk with new persons, especially in group meetings. My heartbeat used to raise and I will forget things to be d...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You have Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) and social phobia. I can understand your concern. I have read through your history and from that, it is clearly evident that you have anxiety spectrum disorder. The symptoms like difficulty in talking with persons, incre...  Read Full »

Why do I feel like throwing up when I eat out?

Query: Hello doctor, I am here today to finally address my problem. I am an 18 year old male, who plays football and loves to play golf. I am here today to say, and I have an eating disorder. In this case, I am assuming it is an eating disorder or some type of phobia. But anyway, my problem is eating in p...  Read Full »

Dr. Pankaj Mittal

Psychiatrist, Psychotherapist, Sexologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I think it is not an eating disorder because, in the case of an eating disorder, the problem should be everywhere including your home. However, your problem of eating in public could be because of social anxiety disorder or because of Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD)...  Read Full »

How can I get rid of social phobia and performance anxiety?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 17 years old female. I have persistent depression and social anxiety disorder. I have not ever taken medication for this issue. My social anxiety usually springs me into full-blown panic attacks like shaking, feeling unsteady, trouble catching breathes, extreme twitchiness and my th...  Read Full »

Dr. Awadhesh P Singh Solanki

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your symptoms are suggestive of social phobia and performance anxiety. Do not worry as there are lots of good medicines which will help you to perform without anxiety. Medicines like Beta blockers like Propranolol will help to reduce your anxiety symptoms. You can also ...  Read Full »