Q. I get anxious in front of crowd. Please advise.

Dr. Aneel Kumar
Published on Aug 22, 2019

I am 28 years old and weigh 90 kg. My problem is anxiety. I feel anxious whenever I have to deal with my boss, attend a meeting, speak in front of a crowd. I feel breathlessness and discomfort. My voice starts to break. I am doing well at my job and recently got a promotion. However, this has made me anxious as my job now requires to constantly deal and talk with people and be more answerable to the management.

Dr. Aneel Kumar

Psychiatry
#

Your history reflects social anxiety disorder but that needs detailed assessment. You need medication as well as psychotherapy session, medications are required to control the symptoms but medications has some limitations like it would not change your personality, thinking style and behavior, for that you need to have sessions to understand the situations, and to learn to deal with anxiety and stressful situations. It is called systemic desensitization for social anxiety. Do you take any other medications right now?

TFT (thyroid function test).

Tablet Zoloft 50 mg half at night for three days then one tablet at night, tablet Propranolol 10 mg as per need during social anxiety.

Currently, I am not taking any medication. I used to take the medicines regularly but I stopped taking them. When I felt things were improving, I stopped taking the medicines. Things have been going south for the past few days as a result of my added responsibilities at work.

Dr. Aneel Kumar

Psychiatry
#

I have prescribed you a Sertraline (SSRI) selective serotonine reuptake inhibitor, it is recommended in all types of depressions and anxieties but more authentic treatment is psychotherapy session once you get better on medications.

Thank you so much.

Nose block increases suddenly with chilled food and cold wind. Please advise.

Query: Hello doctor, I have nose block, sneezing, itching in the eye, swollen lightly below eyes, and I am unable to sleep at night. Cold items are fatal as problem increases suddenly by these, even curd, fruits are deadly.  Read Full »

I have problem of anxiety and sweating when I face a crowd. Please help me out.

Query: Hello doctor,I am 28 years old. I am suffering from social anxiety. Some years back, I joined as a lecturer. After some days, when I start teaching the students and if they do not understand what I am teaching, I feel profuse sweating in arms and face. So, I get very shy. I left the job now. I consi...  Read Full »

How can I overcome the fear of needles?

Query: Hello doctor, I am quite afraid of needles. I get anxious even thinking about blood tests. I fainted once while taking blood test. Please suggest me to overcome fear. I have to get blood tests done but I am extremely anxious.  Read Full »