Q. How to treat social phobia?

Dr. Ramchandra Lamba
Published on Nov 01, 2018

I have social phobia. I have this problem from my childhood. Till now, I have not visited any doctor. I am explaining my common issues. Please go through it and please suggest me. I dislike being introduced to other people. I find hard to go outside. I cannot be confident in front of other people. I hesitate to go through crowds. I have a fear to go to parties. I have a fear to have eye contact. I cannot concentrate on my work. I find it hard to socialize with other people.

I feel hard to talk in front of other people. I feel anxious when I go to social ceremonies or functions. I generally want to stay silent always. I have a fear to talk with others. It makes me depressed. I have a fear to give a speech in front of other people. My mind is going blank, and I am very nervous. Please give me useful advice.

Dr. Ramchandra Lamba

Psychiatry Psychologist/ Counsellor Sexology
#

I have gone through your problem, and I can understand your concern. You have social phobia and anxiety disorder. You need to consult a psychiatrist soon as depression and avoidant personality disorder are difficult to differentiate from a social anxiety disorder. In social phobia, SSRI (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor) and psychotherapy such as cognitive retraining, homework assignment, and desensitization are helpful.

Generalized Anxiety Disorder(GAD)

Article Overview: A 35-year-old woman came to me with a chief complaint of muscle tension. She stated that she has experienced a considerable amount of muscle tension her entire life, but it has become increasingly worse over the last 12 months. Read Article

The above mentioned patient is suffering from Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD). GAD can be defined as anxiety and worry about several events and activities for a majority of the day. The anxiety and worry of GAD differs from normal anxiety by its excessiveness, the difficu...  Read Article

Please suggest the best drug for GAD and social phobia. What are its side effects?

Query: Hi doctor, I will first summarize my case, and then I will put my query. I had been diagnosed to have GAD and social phobia before 10 years, and I was taking Paxil 20 mg daily in the evening along with CBT. The result was excellent. The anxiety and depression went away, but with a very high level o...  Read Full >>

Dr. Maneesh Gupta

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I read your query. Out of the three options, the third option would be the best possible concerning the balance between the effectiveness and side effects. Zoloft (Sertraline) and Lexapro (Escitalopram), both are almost equal regarding the side effects and efficacy. Ba...  Read Full

Depression - Awareness, Self-Diagnosis, and Treatment Modalities

Article Overview: Depression is among the top five causes of morbidity in today’s world. It remains largely undiagnosed and underreported because of a lack of adequate knowledge, both among the patients as well as the physicians. It is majorly characterized by the presence of a continuous sad mood, anhedonia, and easy fatiguability along with a host of secondary symptoms, which aid in quantifying the severity of the depressive disorder. So, it is the need of the hour that awareness is raised among the masses regarding this illness that is soon poised to be the number one cause of morbidity. Read Article

Dr. Ajay Singh

Depression has been recorded in the annals of history since time immemorial, but never has it assumed so much significance as it has in today’s world. With the advent of technology today, the human society is evolving by leaps and bounds with every passing day. As the saying goes that every coin h...  Read Article