Social Phobia

Social phobia is a chronic mental disorder called social anxiety disorder, which disrupts the individual's social life and interferes with daily activities. Emotional and behavioral symptoms include embarrassment, fear to speak with people, avoiding activities that need a center of attention, negative thoughts, fear of being judged, thinking about the flaws only, etc. Blushing, increased heartbeat, profuse sweating, stomach upset, nausea, dizziness, etc., are the physical symptoms. Psychotherapy, along with medications, manage this condition. Serotonin and norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor is the first choice of drug for social phobia. Antidepressants, anti-anxiety medications, and beta-blockers also help in treating the disease.

Recently Answered Questions Recently Answered Questions

All the answers published in this website are written by Verified medical doctors, therapists and health experts. The Content has been moderated by iCliniq medical review team before publication. Post your medical clarifications on iCliniq by choosing the right specialty and get them answered. Your medical queries will be answered 24/7 by top doctors from iCliniq.

Is it possible to reduce the side effects of my social phobia medications?

Query: Hi doctor, I will first summarize my case, and then I will put my query. I had been diagnosed to have GAD and social phobia before 10 years, and I was taking Paxil 20 mg daily in the evening along with CBT. The result was excellent. The anxiety and depression went away, but with a very high level o...  Read Full »

Dr. Maneesh Gupta

Answer: Hi, Welcome to I read your query. Out of the three options, the third option would be the best possible concerning the balance between the effectiveness and side effects. Zoloft (Sertraline) and Lexapro (Escitalopram), both are almost equal regarding the side effects and efficacy. Ba...  Read Full »

I am afraid to socialize because of my leanness. What to do?

Query: Hi doctor,I am a middle-aged person. I recently lost a lot of weight, about 3.33 kg of my body fats. I do not feel sick besides a consistent stuffy nose. I think my stuffy nose is due to smoking.I am so worried about the way I look. I find it difficult to socialize out there. The reason is the way p...  Read Full »

Dr. Arpit Varshney

Answer: Hello,Welcome to causes of a sudden significant weight loss include many aetiologies apart from HIV (human immunodeficiency virus) and it is not necessary that it is due to some disease.Sometimes; stress, overworking, exhaustion, undereating, poor hygiene can also lead to weight loss...  Read Full »

What is the recommended dose of Mirtazapine for treating anxiety and social phobia?

Query: Hello doctor, I am suffering from anxiety and social phobia. I consulted my psychiatrist to use either Citalopram or Mirtazapine. I doubt to take Citalopram because I know this causes sexual side effects more often than Mirtazapine does. However, regarding Mirtazapine, I read various things online ...  Read Full »

Dr. Suresh Kumar G D

Answer: Hello, Welcome to 1. Both Citalopram and Mirtazapine are good choices for managing anxiety and social phobia. 2. If you are worried about sexual side effects, Mirtazapine will be a better choice. 3. Both Citalopram and Mirtazapine can take up to four weeks for the therapeutic benefi...  Read Full »

How to deal with deal with anxiety, social phobia, headaches, and emotional instability?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 22 years old, 5.8 feet tall, and weigh 70 kg. I am facing anxiety, headaches, social phobia, and emotional instability. Please help. I am currently taking tablet Pax (Paroxetine Hydrochloride) 20 mg.  Read Full »

Dr. Vishal Anilkumar Gandhi

Answer: Hello, Welcome to Thank you for taking help from a psychiatrist. I understand your concern. I suspect you to have an anxiety disorder, and there is non-pharmacological management for it; you should try to follow the below guidelines to deal with it. It will help you. 1)Exercise regul...  Read Full »

Why do I get nervous and start to sweat after meeting new people?

Query: Hi doctor, While talking to people like in the office, with my boss or a new person I am getting nervous and start sweating. How to stop that nervousness and sweating? Because of this fear, I am avoiding official meetings and personally meet with people around me as well.  Read Full »

Dr. Ashok Kumar Choudhary

Answer: Hi, Welcome to From the available description, it appears that you are suffering with social phobia. This is a kind of anxiety disorder where the person feels difficult to engage in many of social activities and fears that he is judged by others. With regard to treatment, I like to assu...  Read Full »

How to overcome stage fear? Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, How can I overcome my problem of coming up forward for something? The main problem faced by me is stage fear, and I do not know how to cure it. Please give me a solution for it.  Read Full »

Dr. Suresh Kumar G D

Answer: Hello, Welcome to Stage fear is quite common in your age group and among many adults as well. It can be managed by taking appropriate steps. Do you have any generalized anxiety or social anxiety? It can contribute to stage fear and need to be addressed. You have already taken the fir...  Read Full »

What is causing all my symptoms?

Query: Hi doctor, I have the following problems in my daily life. Social phobia, inferiority complex, lack of concentration and fear of everything. I am not interested to do anything. I am leading a sedentary lifestyle. I also masturbate a lot. I am thinking consistently about my future and living without ...  Read Full »

Dr. Ashok Kumar Choudhary

Answer: Hi, Welcome to First of all, inferiority complex, social phobia, poor concentration and fear of everything can be a manifestation of depression or anxiety disorders. Having said this, we need to understand that the same symptoms can be present in abnormal thyroid function. The presence...  Read Full »

I have social anxiety and is it an essential one to get treated?

Query: Hello doctor, I think I have social anxiety, but I am not sure if it is affecting my life enough to do anything about it. I do not want to tell my mom, but I am sure therapy would help as I am very insecure, have a negative mindset, and generally I am very paranoid of what others think. I do not kno...  Read Full »

Dr. Punya Mulky

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I understand you are quite worried and frightened about your problems. Social anxiety is common, and it is all about what it does that affects the people more. Your worries about your inability to hold on to a job and avoiding social situations are valid. It is very ...  Read Full »

Can I consult a psychiatrist for my memory loss?

Query: Hi doctor, I feel like I am in a constant brain fog state. I have terrible social anxiety as I cannot remember anything to talk about. This has kept me from truly pursuing anything. I do not want to look stupid. In school, I usually zone out and often forget the names of people who I already met. So...  Read Full »

Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi

Answer: Hello, Welcome to Yes, a psychiatrist can help with memory loss. First of all considering your age, the memory loss you have is not due to organic causes. But, most likely due to poor focus and concentration, which in turn due to social anxiety and depression. Brain fog like state and s...  Read Full »

Why do I fear so many things?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 46 year old male. My health is good since my childhood. I am a pure vegetarian. I do not smoke or drink alcohol. I have completed my PhD in plant biotechnology. My mother died when I was 10 due to heart problems. My father died a year back and he was healthy except minor hyperten...  Read Full »

Dr. Saraswat Kumarshri Shriniwas

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I have gone through your detailed history. Your primary complaints are of multiple phobias, including agoraphobia. It is quite evident from other details that you are physically healthy and the problems are of psychological origin. Now, coming to your medicine history...  Read Full »

ask-doctor-img Ask a Doctor Online

* Your first query consult is free!

Search for a Health Issue

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.