Sodium Level

My mother lost his voice due to high sodium levels in blood. Why does it occurs?

Query: Hello doctor, My mom had a heart attack at my house. They did a stunt and then she had some brain bleed and had mini strokes. She was in a coma and recovered, even had a temporary tracheotomy. She went to a rehab facility and was very dehydrated so bad she had to go to the ER. The doctor said h...  Read Full »

Dr. Aida Quka

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern and would explain that it is quite normal to have high sodium levels due to dehydration. Anyway, there is no reason to lose voice while rehydration, which causes the normalization of sodium levels. Anyway, the changes in concentration of...  Read Full »

Can Noctiva nasal spray reduce the sodium levels in the body?

Query: Hi doctor, I had a bladder leakage at night. I tested my urine. It was fine. I do not have urine leakage during the daytime. I had this problem before five months. My urologist gave me Nocitva nose spray. I have read that using Noctiva can lower the sodium present in the body. I tested my sodium le...  Read Full »

Dr. Karthik Rajan

Urologist, Andrologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, using Noctiva nasal spray (Desmopressin acetate) can cause a decrease in sodium levels in the blood. The risk is small, and it usually happens within the first month. Then your body starts coping with it. Generally, we measure the sodium levels just before starting...  Read Full »

What do you suggest for high 17-OHP in a baby?

Query: Hello doctor, My 4 month old baby was born preterm and detected with high 17-OHP levels. The details are as follows: Baseline level on screening 196 ng/mL. Two other tests showed 20 ng/mL and 10 ng/mL. The recent test showed 5 ng/mL. As per consultation with my doctor, high 17-OHP is due to preterm...  Read Full »

Dr. Deep Dutta

Endocrinologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You have nothing to worry. Current 17-OHP levels are normal (17-hydroxyprogesterone). High levels at birth are commonly seen in preterm children. Please meet an endocrinologist for clinical examination of your child and review back with the reports. Revert back with the r...  Read Full »

Can Tolsama be used to correct sodium levels?

Query: Hello doctor,My mother suffers from low sodium levels. Although she tries to maintain them through a sodium-rich diet, she loses the levels when she is affected by any ailment. One doctor suggested her to use Tolsama on alternate days and monitor the serum electrolytes to check the levels and stop w...  Read Full »

Dr. Mohammed Parvez

Internal Medicine Physician, General Medicine Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I need more information to know the main diagnosis. I would like to know why is she having low sodium levels. As per the suggestion for Tolsama (Tolvaptan) by your physician, I assume the diagnosis to be SIADH (syndrome of inappropriate antidiuretic hormone secretio...  Read Full »

What is microcytic normochromic anemia?

Query: Hi doctor, I had a full blood count done and the report mentioned that there were microcytic normochromic cells noted. What does the report mean? Am I anemic or vitamin deficient? What do I do to get better? What are the concerning signs from this report? I do usually feel fatigued and lazy. How can...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Microcytic RBC (red blood cell) means that the size of the RBC is decreased. Usually, it is seen in iron deficiency anemia. But, your hemoglobin level is within the range. So, anemia is ruled out. Excess stress, anxiety, being overworked, lack of exercise, lack of slee...  Read Full »

My mother in law is in a semi-conscious state due to sodium imbalance. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, This query concerns my mother in law. She has an imbalance of sodium due to which she becomes semi-conscious. Her condition has not improved since more than six months now. When I enquired with her doctor, he says that her health will remain this way throughout her life. She was oper...  Read Full »

Dr. Saravan Pramod Settipalli

General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Family Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I read your query and understand your concern. I have seen the reports attached by you (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Your mother in law is diagnosed with multiple conditions such as hypertension, diabetes mellitus, left ventricular dysfunction with ...  Read Full »

Why did my father develop slurred speech two days back?

Query: Hi doctor, My 70 year old father has developed slurred speech from two days. He has diabetes, benign prostate hypertrophy, and history of vascular dementia. He does not have weakness, paralysis, or numbness. He does not have hypertension or any cardiac disease. He refused to do a CT scan in the ER....  Read Full »

Dr. Hitesh Kumar

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. In a patient, having risk factors, like diabetes mellitus and acute onset slurring of speech, it raises the possibility of developing an acute stroke. Though there may be other causes too. I would suggest undergoing the following tests: MRI of the brain or NCCT (non-...  Read Full »