Q. What do you suggest for high 17-OHP in a baby?

Dr. Deep Dutta
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 15, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

My 4 month old baby was born preterm and detected with high 17-OHP levels. The details are as follows: Baseline level on screening 196 ng/mL. Two other tests showed 20 ng/mL and 10 ng/mL. The recent test showed 5 ng/mL. As per consultation with my doctor, high 17-OHP is due to preterm. Also, note that my baby is on formula milk. Please advise.

#

• You have nothing to worry. Current 17-OHP levels are normal (17-hydroxyprogesterone).
  • High levels at birth are commonly seen in preterm children. Please meet an endocrinologist for clinical examination of your child and review back with the reports.

Revert back with the reports to an endocrinologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/endocrinologist

As per the latest blood test report, the 17-OHP level is still above the reference range. Please refer the report attached. What do you suggest? Is it normal or require any further investigation?

#

I have seen the reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• Yes, it is mildly raised and the normal is less than 2 ng/mL.
  • I would like your child to get examined clinically by an endocrinologist. Also, please get a 9 AM cortisol, sodium and potassium done. Hopefully, they should be normal.

For further information consult an endocrinologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/endocrinologist

|