Q. What do you suggest for high 17-OHP in a baby?

Dr. Deep Dutta
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 15, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

My 4 month old baby was born preterm and detected with high 17-OHP levels. The details are as follows: Baseline level on screening 196 ng/mL. Two other tests showed 20 ng/mL and 10 ng/mL. The recent test showed 5 ng/mL. As per consultation with my doctor, high 17-OHP is due to preterm. Also, note that my baby is on formula milk. Please advise.

Dr. Deep Dutta

Endocrinology General Medicine Internal Medicine
#

• You have nothing to worry. Current 17-OHP levels are normal (17-hydroxyprogesterone).
  • High levels at birth are commonly seen in preterm children. Please meet an endocrinologist for clinical examination of your child and review back with the reports.

Revert back with the reports to an endocrinologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/endocrinologist

| 

As per the latest blood test report, the 17-OHP level is still above the reference range. Please refer the report attached. What do you suggest? Is it normal or require any further investigation?

Dr. Deep Dutta

#

I have seen the reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• Yes, it is mildly raised and the normal is less than 2 ng/mL.
  • I would like your child to get examined clinically by an endocrinologist. Also, please get a 9 AM cortisol, sodium and potassium done. Hopefully, they should be normal.

For further information consult an endocrinologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/endocrinologist

| 

How long do I have to wait after Cortisone shot to have surgery?

Query: Hello doctor, I had a Cortisone shot 10 days ago. It did not help. I will most likely be undergoing surgery for a hip arthroscopy and/or sports hernia. How long do I have to wait after the cortisone shot to have surgery to not risk infection? Also, I take 500 mg turmeric, a multivitamin, 2400 mg vi...  Read Full »

Can Noctiva nasal spray reduce the sodium levels in the body?

Query: Hi doctor, I had a bladder leakage at night. I tested my urine. It was fine. I do not have urine leakage during the daytime. I had this problem before five months. My urologist gave me Nocitva nose spray. I have read that using Noctiva can lower the sodium present in the body. I tested my sodium le...  Read Full »

I have PCOS with regular periods. Why am I not able to conceive?

Query: Hello doctor, I was diagnosed with PCOS at 16, but have had successful pregnancies (other things I had zero breast change and less than once a day of milk production). We have never used any form of birth control yet our youngest is now almost 5. We have been actively trying for almost two years no...  Read Full »

Ask an Endocrinologist Now