Get E-Book on COVID-19

Q. What do you suggest for high 17-OHP in a baby?

Answered by
Dr. Deep Dutta
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 15, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

Hello doctor,

My 4 month old baby was born preterm and detected with high 17-OHP levels. The details are as follows: Baseline level on screening 196 ng/mL. Two other tests showed 20 ng/mL and 10 ng/mL. The recent test showed 5 ng/mL. As per consultation with my doctor, high 17-OHP is due to preterm. Also, note that my baby is on formula milk. Please advise.

Dr. Deep Dutta

Endocrinology General Medicine Internal Medicine


Welcome to

  • You have nothing to worry. Current 17-OHP levels are normal (17-hydroxyprogesterone).
  • High levels at birth are commonly seen in preterm children. Please meet an endocrinologist for clinical examination of your child and review back with the reports.

Revert back with the reports to an endocrinologist online -->

Was this answer helpful?


Thank you doctor,

As per the latest blood test report, the 17-OHP level is still above the reference range. Please refer the report attached. What do you suggest? Is it normal or require any further investigation?

Dr. Deep Dutta

Endocrinology General Medicine Internal Medicine


Welcome back to

I have seen the reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

  • Yes, it is mildly raised and the normal is less than 2 ng/mL.
  • I would like your child to get examined clinically by an endocrinologist. Also, please get a 9 AM cortisol, sodium and potassium done. Hopefully, they should be normal.

For further information consult an endocrinologist online -->

Was this answer helpful?


Related Questions:
Despite ovulation induction, I did not get pregnant. What to do now?
My skin was damaged after using cortisone cream. How to heal it?
What to do for frequent drop in sodium level?
Consult by PhoneConsult by Phone Video ChatVideo Chat
Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

How long do I have to wait after Cortisone shot to have surgery?

Query: Hello doctor, I had a Cortisone shot 10 days ago. It did not help. I will most likely be undergoing surgery for a hip arthroscopy and/or sports hernia. How long do I have to wait after the cortisone shot to have surgery to not risk infection? Also, I take 500 mg turmeric, a multivitamin, 2400 mg vi...  Read Full »

Can Noctiva nasal spray reduce the sodium levels in the body?

Query: Hi doctor, I had a bladder leakage at night. I tested my urine. It was fine. I do not have urine leakage during the daytime. I had this problem before five months. My urologist gave me Nocitva nose spray. I have read that using Noctiva can lower the sodium present in the body. I tested my sodium le...  Read Full »

I have PCOS with regular periods. Why am I not able to conceive?

Query: Hello doctor, I was diagnosed with PCOS at 16, but have had successful pregnancies (other things I had zero breast change and less than once a day of milk production). We have never used any form of birth control yet our youngest is now almost 5. We have been actively trying for almost two years no...  Read Full »

Also Read

COVID-19 Testing
COVID-19 testing includes analyzing patient samples to determine current or past infections with SARS-CoV-2. Read the ar...  Read more»
I feel a restlessness in my legs, which decreases my sleep quality. How to get a refreshing sleep?
Hello doctor, I cannot get refreshing sleep some days in a week, and some days it is good. I also have difficulty sleep...  Read more»
I have redness in my eyes. How to stop it from getting redder?
Hello doctor,I am a 16-year-old boy. I have a problem with my eyes, and I had this problem for a very long time. I do no...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Endocrinologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.