Q. Does using Noctiva nasal spray reduce the sodium levels in the body?

Dr. Karthik Rajan

I had a bladder leakage at night. I tested my urine. It was fine. I do not have urine leakage during the daytime. I had this problem before five months. My urologist gave me Nocitva nose spray. I have read that using Noctiva can lower the sodium present in the body. I tested my sodium level before eight months. It was 142 mEq/L. Do I need to check my sodium level now? Please suggest.

#

Yes, using Noctiva nasal spray (Desmopressin acetate) can cause a decrease in sodium levels in the blood. The risk is small, and it usually happens within the first month. Then your body starts coping with it. Generally, we measure the sodium levels just before starting the drug, a week after starting the medication and a month after taking the drug. If we find the levels in a stable condition, then we repeat them once in six months. In your case, as you have started the medication, I would advise you to get a sodium level now and a couple of weeks later. If they are normal, then you can get it done for every six months. It is just a precaution to monitor these levels, as the actual risk of developing low sodium levels is less than 10 %.

I had checked the sodium levels before eight months. It was 142 mEq/L. Does it get changed soon?

#

It is not possible to use the sodium levels measured before eight months. Having a recent value measured within a week is necessary. It is a highly reliable value that can change in a matter of hours. Hence it is better to do testing to know a recent value. If we find that the dosage of the medication does not cause a change in the sodium levels, or if there is no change in the sodium levels, then the sodium levels can be measured at lengthier intervals.

| 

How can passing urine while sleeping be treated in a child?

Query: Hello doctor,My boy baby is 9 years old and is still passing urine on the bed while sleeping. While I discussed with him, he said he is not feeling. As per doctor suggestion I used to wake up him by night for passing the urine but it did not work. Day time he gets it urgent and runs towards the bath...  Read Full »

Is it safe to take iron supplements for fatigue or can it become toxic?

Query: Hello doctor, I began presenting last fall with some chronic fatigue. The initial blood work showed low iron saturation without anemia. I have attached reports of the same. There were other endocrine-related findings as well. In the course of various endocrine-related treatments and corresponding bl...  Read Full »

Does CD marker help in identification of blood cancer?
Hi doctor, I am a 25-year-old male suffering from joint pain and pain in the knees. I also have nausea, vomiting, gynec...  Read more»
I suddenly got fainted and woked up with bruising in eyes. Why?
Hi doctor,I am 28 years old with normal weight and following a vegetarian diet. Last month, I fainted at home and my fri...  Read more»