Q. My mother in law is in a semi-conscious state due to sodium imbalance. Please help.

Dr. Settipalli Saravan Pramod

This query concerns my mother in law. She has an imbalance of sodium due to which she becomes semi-conscious. Her condition has not improved since more than six months now. When I enquired with her doctor, he says that her health will remain this way throughout her life. She was operated for heart problems and gangrene six months ago. Also, her TLC rise and fall erratically. She takes medicines for the heart and diabetes.

#

I read your query and understand your concern. I have seen the reports attached by you (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• Your mother in law is diagnosed with multiple conditions such as hypertension, diabetes mellitus, left ventricular dysfunction with hyponatremia and urinary tract infection. 
  • Let me tell you that the semi-conscious state or a drowsy-state is most probably due to hyponatremia. Further investigations need to be done in order to confirm that as the cause.
  • Right now, the most important thing she needs is good nursing care along with medications.
  • For your query regarding her TLC (total leukocyte count), the count may rise in case of an infection. She probably had a recurrenct infection because of the urinary tract infection or poorly managed diabetes.
  • Hyponatremia is a condition which needs to be addressed immediately.
  • Let me know the following:
  1. Is she bed-ridden or carrying on with her own work?
  2. Does she have any history of fever? 
  3. As she was amputated, is a proper daily wound care going on?

Feel free to follow up anytime.

Revert with more information to an internal medicine physician online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

|