Spina Bifida

Why is there pain in lower back when I lie on a sofa or bed?

Query: Hi doctor, I have pain in the lower back when I lay on a sofa or bed. When I stand, I have the pain in my back. This symptom appears only in the evening. It never happens in the morning or afternoon. I have taken X-ray and analytics. The results are: SV 1 spina bifida. There is a mild tilt of t...  Read Full »

Dr. Aida Quka

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern and would explain that your symptoms (local back pain when laying) could be related to the spina bifida. I do not think that there is any bulging disc or nerve compression. Anyway, I would recommend performing a lumbar spine MRI (magnetic reson...  Read Full »

What fertility problems do people with spina bifida have?

Query: Hello doctor, Do people who have spina bifida and have urinary and bowel incontinence also have fertility issues?  Read Full »

Dr. Vivek Chail

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand that you are inquiring about spina bifida causing fertility related problems in humans. The nerve damage in spina bifida that affects urinary and bowel functions may also affect sexual functioning. It has been found that most males and females with spina bi...  Read Full »

How does spina bifida progress?

Query: Hello doctor, I have spina bifida, which is a slow degenerative syndrome. In the long run, what kind of deterioration will take place?  Read Full »

Dr. Chirag Solanki

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Spina bifida may progress to involve both legs, where one may develop tingling, numbness, and weakness. One may also develop urinary retention and overflow incontinence. Many times if there is associated cranial abnormality like Chiari malformation, then similar sympt...  Read Full »

What could a cleft-like appearance of the thoracic vertebra in a newborn be?

Query: Hello doctor, My daughter is one day old and on an X-ray, it is showing a cleft-like appearance on the T12 vertebra. The hospital is telling us to follow up with an orthopedic. My question is what can this mean now and in the future?  Read Full »

Dr. Lokesh

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The cleft can be just superficial or deep going up to the spinal cord. If it is superficial then it will not be of a major concern. If its deep then there can be tethering of the spinal cord or bifid cord which can lead to neurological disorders of the lower limbs ...  Read Full »