Q. How does spina bifida progress?

Dr. Chirag Solanki
This is a premium question & answer published on May 05, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I have spina bifida, which is a slow degenerative syndrome. In the long run, what kind of deterioration will take place?

Dr. Chirag Solanki

General Surgery Neuro Surgery Spine Surgery
#

Welcome to icliniq.com.

• Spina bifida may progress to involve both legs, where one may develop tingling, numbness, and weakness.
  • One may also develop urinary retention and overflow incontinence.
  • Many times if there is associated cranial abnormality like Chiari malformation, then similar symptoms in the upper limbs and hydrocephalus in the head may also develop.

For further queries consult a neuro surgeon online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/neuro-surgeon

| 

Thank you very much for your reply. But I have one more doubt after going through your answer, can all this deterioration take place in one day or it is a gradual deterioration?

Dr. Chirag Solanki

#

Welcome back to icliniq.com.

• It is a slow deterioration if it happens.
  • Most of the times, a person may have spina bifida occulta, which may be completely asymptomatic and may not develop any of this problem throughout their lives.

For more information consult a neuro surgeon online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/neuro-surgeon

| 

Fetus revealed with mild hydrocephalus. Is it a serious condition?

Query: Hi doctor, Mild hydrocephalus shown with breech presentation in 36 weeks ultrasound scan. None of the previous report showed any abnormality. Genetic test done earlier in 2nd trimester was also normal. I want to understand what should be the next step for a healthy and sound mother and baby. I had a...  Read Full »

Are my weakness and confusion due to low sugar or stroke?

Query: Hello doctor,I am suddenly feeling faint, weak, shaking, confused, and as if moving in slow motion. It has been going on for nearly 24 hours. Is this low blood sugar or stroke?  Read Full »

Why does my penis feel numb?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 26 year old male. My height is 190 cm and weight is 85 kg. I do exercise with weights regularly. I have noticed that I have reduced feeling in the skin on my shaft. I cannot feel normal touch, but I can feel the pain if I pinch it with my nails. To best describe it; it feels li...  Read Full »

Ask a Neuro Surgeon Now