Q. How does spina bifida progress?

Dr. Chirag Solanki
This is a premium question & answer published on May 05, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I have spina bifida, which is a slow degenerative syndrome. In the long run, what kind of deterioration will take place?

#

Welcome to icliniq.com.

• Spina bifida may progress to involve both legs, where one may develop tingling, numbness, and weakness.
  • One may also develop urinary retention and overflow incontinence.
  • Many times if there is associated cranial abnormality like Chiari malformation, then similar symptoms in the upper limbs and hydrocephalus in the head may also develop.

For further queries consult a neuro surgeon online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/neuro-surgeon

Thank you very much for your reply. But I have one more doubt after going through your answer, can all this deterioration take place in one day or it is a gradual deterioration?

#

Welcome back to icliniq.com.

• It is a slow deterioration if it happens.
  • Most of the times, a person may have spina bifida occulta, which may be completely asymptomatic and may not develop any of this problem throughout their lives.

For more information consult a neuro surgeon online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/neuro-surgeon

|