Q. Do people who have spina bifida develop fertility issues?

Dr. Vivek Chail
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 13, 2015 and last reviewed on: Dec 29, 2018

Do people who have spina bifida and have urinary and bowel incontinence also have fertility issues?

#

I understand that you are inquiring about spina bifida causing fertility related problems in humans. The nerve damage in spina bifida that affects urinary and bowel functions may also affect sexual functioning. It has been found that most males and females with spina bifida are fertile. Many of the issues surrounding reduced fertility in spina bifida are due to mechanical and anatomical reasons.

75% of men with spina bifida achieve erections, but maintaining erections is a problem, and some may be merely reflexive in nature. Most of these men show marked improvement with Sildenafil though ejaculation may not occur in all men. Most of the women with spina bifida are fertile.

|