Spinal Cord Injury

Will a person with partially injured cervical spinal cord have mobility and sensory function?

Query: Hi doctor, I have some questions I would like answered on cervical spinal cord injuries, please. If a person only had a partial transection of the cervical spinal cord would their final outcome still be a complete cervical spinal cord injury, where they no mobility or sensory function? Or is it p...  Read Full »

Dr. Aida Quka

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I read carefully your question and would explain that the cervical spinal cord is a very delicate part of the spinal cord because in its beginning are located the most important centers which control the heart rate, the pulmonary function, and the blood pressure valu...  Read Full »

Can a person die following a spinal injury?

Query: Hello doctor, A friend of mine, who was in his 80's, had a fall in his garden and as a consequence fractured his neck and died from transection of the cervical spinal cord. I will explain what happened.He was in his garden, on a cold winters day, standing in a ditch, that was not deep or wide when ...  Read Full »

Dr. Aida Quka

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. 1. Yes, the fall seems to be the cause of the fractured neck and the damage to his spinal cord (attachment removed to protect patient identity). 2. Nothing would have changed if you found him one or two hours before. 3. I think that the fall caused the vertebral c...  Read Full »

After an electric shock, why does my partner still have shock-like feeling and pain in his arm?

Query: Hello doctor, My partner got an electric shock to his right arm a year ago. Ever since then, he has felt like he is constantly shocked, and he has been unable to move his arm properly. He is on 750 mg of Lyrica a day to control the shock-like feeling and pain. However, the hand movement has not retu...  Read Full »

Dr. Ramesh Kumar S

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Cases of motor neuron disease are seen after electric shocks. Most likely, your partner is experiencing wasting of muscles due to motor neuron disease post the electric shock. A motor neuron (or motoneuron) is a nerve cell, which directly or indirectly controls the effect...  Read Full »