Spinal Cord Injury

Spinal cord injury usually occurs as a result of nerve damage. It causes severe back pain. In addition, it may affect the posture of an individual.

My partner had an electric shock a year ago and still has a shock-like feeling and pain. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, My partner got an electric shock to his right arm a year ago. Ever since then, he has felt like he is constantly shocked, and he has been unable to move his arm properly. He is on 750 mg of Lyrica a day to control the shock-like feeling and pain. However, the hand movement has not retu...  Read Full »

Dr. Ramesh Kumar S

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Cases of motor neuron disease are seen after electric shocks. Most likely, your partner is experiencing wasting of muscles due to motor neuron disease post the electric shock. A motor neuron (or motoneuron) is a nerve cell, which directly or indirectly controls the...  Read Full »

Did my friend experience numbness and tingling sensation in his legs due to neck or cervical spinal cord injury?

Query: Hello doctor, A friend of mine was 81 years old and fell over a brick in his garden. He did not fall from a height, but he hit his head. His neck, arms, and cervical spine got injured. He was lying on the ground for one to one and a half hours before anyone could find him. He tried to get up, but he...  Read Full »

Dr. Chirag Solanki

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The symptoms suggest spinal cord injury, which may or may not be associated with a neck fracture. Cervical myelopathy is a less severe form of spinal cord injury, but in pre-existing myelopathy, a fall can worsen the symptoms and cause paraplegia or quadriplegia. It ...  Read Full »

Will a person with partially injured cervical spinal cord have mobility and sensory function?

Query: Hi doctor, I have some questions I would like answered on cervical spinal cord injuries, please. If a person only had a partial transection of the cervical spinal cord would their final outcome still be a complete cervical spinal cord injury, where they no mobility or sensory function? Or is it p...  Read Full »

Dr. Aida Abaz Quka

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I read carefully your question and would explain that the cervical spinal cord is a very delicate part of the spinal cord because in its beginning are located the most important centers which control the heart rate, the pulmonary function, and the blood pressure valu...  Read Full »

Can a person die following a spinal injury?

Query: Hello doctor, A friend of mine, who was in his 80's, had a fall in his garden and as a consequence fractured his neck and died from transection of the cervical spinal cord. I will explain what happened.He was in his garden, on a cold winters day, standing in a ditch, that was not deep or wide when ...  Read Full »

Dr. Aida Abaz Quka

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. 1. Yes, the fall seems to be the cause of the fractured neck and the damage to his spinal cord (attachment removed to protect patient identity). 2. Nothing would have changed if you found him one or two hours before. 3. I think that the fall caused the vertebral c...  Read Full »