Q. What is the specific treatment for compressive spine fracture?

Dr. J Mariano Anto Bruno Mascarenhas
Published on Jun 04, 2016

I have a case of a 47 year old man, who went through a car accident. The scan showed a compressive fracture of T12 wth predominance into the canal 7 mm. The patient was told to stay in bed with a plastic corsage around his waist to prevent sudden movements. Around two to three months later the patient was able to sit and stand, but he did not remove the plastic corsage. Then five months later, which is two weeks ago, the patient could not move his right leg and he could barely feel his right arm. He did a scan and the result as follows. Multiple subcortical and periventricular hypo dense lesions on both hemispheres. Calcified arteriosclerotic plates on arteria vertebralis dexter. No distinguishable lesions on posterior cranial fossa. Free basal cisterns. Free paranasal sinuses. Overall, it says that the multiple ischemic lesions lead towards vasculitis. I must include that the patient suffers from heart pressure and diabetes. Can you lead me to a specific path of treatment? How dangerous is this diagnosis?

Dr. J Mariano Anto Bruno Mascarenhas

Neuro Surgery Neurology Spine Health Spine Surgery
#

Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com.I have read your question with care and understood the concern.

• The inability to move the right leg could be due to compressive fracture T12 or periventricular hypodense lesions.
  • Barely feeling right arm is due to periventricular hypodense lesions or some undiagnosed problem in the cervical spine.
  • Multiple subcortical and periventricular hypodense lesions on both hemispheres are due to multiple small infarcts. This is due to long standing diabetes and hypertension.
  • So, the specific path of treatment would be to do a nerve conduction study to determine whether the inability to move right leg is due to compression in cervical level or distal. If that is due to compression, then surgical decompression is needed.
  • Management of multi infarct dementia by control of blood sugar, control of blood pressure and drugs that improve the nerve functions like Piracetam and Citicoline.

For further information consult a neurologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/neurologist

My father had HIE due to a heart attack, and is now in coma. What to do?

Query: Hi doctor, My father has hypoxic ischemic encephalopathy due to a heart attack. Tracheostomy has been done. He is in a coma. What are the options available now?  Read Full >>

Dr. Hitesh Kumar

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. In hypoxic ischemic encephalopathy, there is some permanent brain cell damage due to transient decreased blood flow in the brain. To be frank, there is no specific treatment available for it on a long-term basis. If the episode been few days prior, few neuroprotective ...  Read Full

Does my echo report indicate any bigger issue?

Query: Hi doctor,I had anterior myocardial infarction five years back, and I was on medications until angiogram and angioplasty were done last year. My last month echo report states, mid anterior septum, anterior wall, and anterolateral wall thinned and hypokinetic. Apical septum, LV apex thinned, and akin...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. These are changes due to AWMI (anterior wall myocardial infarction). You are having dysfunction of the heart, which is of moderate intensity. It is a significant dysfunction, but manageable. Normal functioning of the heart is more than 55 %, and yours is 40 %. Surviv...  Read Full

Why is there numbness in the hands after so many years of accident?

Query: Hello doctor, My brother met with an accident 20 years ago. Now, he has some numbness in his hands. We have attached the reports of the scan had recently. Kindly suggest treatment.  Read Full >>

Dr. Aida Quka

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have carefully reviewed the uploaded MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) report (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It indicates cervical spinal cord compression in the cervical region. This compression is responsible for his hand numbness. For this re...  Read Full