Spine Fracture

How to manage L1 compression fracture?

Query: Hi doctor, I have done a CABP1 test and CT abdomen pelvis with contrast for periumbilical pain. Multiple axial CT images of the abdomen and pelvis with IV was done. The contrast was obtained, followed by 2D coronal reformats. And the contrast dose is 100 mL Omnipaque 350. All CT scans at this facili...  Read Full »

Dr. Zubayeralam

Family Physician, General Medicine Physician, General Practitioner, Pulmonologist, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Thanks for the query. I can understand your concern. According to your statement, you have recently done a CT (computed tomography) abdomen with pelvis with Contrast, which has revealed an L1 (lumbar spine) compression fracture, and your blood test revealed nothing sign...  Read Full »

Do I require any surgery for L1 vertebra fracture?

Query: Hello doctor, I had a fall at home and got fractured in my L1 vertebra. My local doctor is treating me conservatively. I use back brace while walking (maximum five minutes) and doing physiotherapy. As far my work is considered, extensive travel is required. Within how many days, I will get fully f...  Read Full »

Dr. Bhanu Tej

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I read your query. It is almost 3.5 weeks since the injury. I saw your scan film (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Treatment/management of vertebral fractures depends on two factors mainly. 1. Is there any neurological deficit due to the fracture fr...  Read Full »

Does osteoporosis delay the healing process of a spine fracture?

Query: Hi doctor, I have osteoporosis and L3 spine fracture from it. I have had it for six weeks and the pain is minimal. But, when I walk or stand my whole back feels very strange and uncomfortable like a chronic ache. I also had two fractures before. I am flying out in two weeks. Do you think it will be ...  Read Full »

Dr. Mahaveer Patil

Family Physician, General Practitioner, Orthopaedician And Traumatologist, Physiotherapist, Spine Health Specialist, Spine Surgeon

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your message and understand your concern. After a vertebra fracture, generally it takes around two to three months to almost get back to normal. Considering your osteoporosis, it may take a little more time for you to get going. If possible, then you ...  Read Full »

Is there a specific treatment for compressive spine fracture?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a case of a 47 year old man, who went through a car accident. The scan showed a compressive fracture of T12 wth predominance into the canal 7 mm. The patient was told to stay in bed with a plastic corsage around his waist to prevent sudden movements. Around two to three months ...  Read Full »

Dr. J Mariano Anto Bruno Mascarenhas

Family Physician, General Practitioner, Neuro Surgeon, Neurologist, Spine Health Specialist, Spine Surgeon

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com.I have read your question with care and understood the concern. The inability to move the right leg could be due to compressive fracture T12 or periventricular hypodense lesions. Barely feeling right arm is due to periventricular hypodense lesions or some undiagnosed prob...  Read Full »

Do fractured vertebrae heal on their own?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a little stressed as I headed a car accident a week ago. I have a fracture in my T2 and T4 vertebrae. Doctor send me home with no brace and asked me to just take it easy. They advised me not to lift heavy weight and it will heal in six weeks. I am feeling good but there is a lit...  Read Full »

Dr. Akshay Kumar Saxena

Orthopaedician And Traumatologist, Spine Surgeon

Answer: Hello, Welcome to iclniq.com. You have mentioned a car accident about a week ago in which you fractured T2 and T4 vertebrae. For any spinal fracture, opinion is based upon: 1) Detailed neurological examination of the patient. 2) x-ray and if needed MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) of the involve...  Read Full »

My mother had T8 vertebral body fracture. What advice does she need to follow?

Query: Hello doctor, I am living in a place, but my mother lives abroad in a country with limited access to spinal surgeons. She is 71 otherwise fit and well for her age. She slipped over and was told she has a t8 vertebral body fracture that is minimally displaced with no cord compression. She is in pain...  Read Full »

Dr. Lokesh

General Practitioner, Orthopaedician And Traumatologist, Spine Health Specialist, Spine Surgeon, Family Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. If she has a T8 vertebral fracture, that is I hope a compression fraction that you are talking about, which is minimally displaced and compressed. Then the treatment that is required is principally pain relief with minimal activities and physiotherapy initially to he...  Read Full »

What causes back pain once the position is changed from sitting?

Query: Hi doctor, My mother is 65 years old (height 4'11", weight 64 kg), and has been doing all the household chores since she was 20 years. She has no problems except diabetes. Since one week, she started getting lower back pain. The symptoms are if she is in a sleeping position and gets up and starts w...  Read Full »

Dr. Atul Prakash

Fitness Expert, Orthopaedician And Traumatologist, Physiotherapist, Spine Health Specialist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. At 65, your mother seems to be suffering from spondylosis which is nothing but wear and tear of the spine. This is made worse after any period of rest and sitting usually makes it worse. Is there any radiation of pain to the leg? I will recommend that you get an X-ra...  Read Full »

Is Adfar injection a better treatment option for ankylosing spondylitis?

Query: Hello doctor, My husband is suffering from ankylosing spondylitis, and he is under treatment since last year. His doctor has now suggested Adfrar 40 injections along with physiotherapy and belt. The doctor has also suggested halting swimming until further instructions. I am looking for a second opi...  Read Full »

Dr. Naval Mendiratta

Rheumatologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity), and his disease does look quite severe. Developing a compression fracture is an indication that the disease activity is high. The reason for stopping exercises would be the fracture itse...  Read Full »

My grandma is on bed rest. Her lower back is red and painful. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor, My grandmother suffered a fall in the bathroom one month back. She is 91 now. Following the fall, she developed a vertebral compression fracture. She has been on bed rest for the last few weeks and now developed redness and pain in the lower back area. Kindly advice on treatment includin...  Read Full »

Dr. Arvind Guru

General Surgeon, Surgical Gastroenterologist, Surgical Oncologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. After reviewing your attached picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity), it is a grade 2 bed sore. Prevent further damage by turning the side of the patient every two hours from side to side. This is to be done only after approval of spine specialist as she...  Read Full »

Kindly explain the difference between spine fusion and fixation surgery.

Query: Hello doctor, What is the difference between spine fusion and fixation surgery?  Read Full »

Dr. Anuj Gupta

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The spine fusion means we fuse one mobile segment of the spine. That means we fuse between two vertebral bodies. We put bone graft there and it fuses with time. This is usually done if there is instability at that segment or spinal canal is so narrow that while decompre...  Read Full »