Q. While on birth control pill, what can cause vaginal spotting?

Dr. Geetha Priyadarsini Kamminana
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 10, 2016 and last reviewed on: Aug 02, 2019

I have been taking the birth control pill, Tri-Sprintec for almost five years now. I started my new pack of pills on 19 of last month. I had intercourse twice on 20th and once on the 21st of last month. I used to take my pill between 7 and 8 AM. One day I had pill at 6:30 AM as I woke up early and I hope that did not cause a problem. I started to notice a little pain on my right side in the pelvic area. I had intercourse again on 26th. I started my second week of the pack that day. During intercourse I felt pain, which never happened before. On 30th, when I was showering, I saw a rusty brown color discharge from my vagina and panicked immediately. When I continued to wipe my vagina a light brown, tan tinge appeared on the paper. Again on 31st, I saw a brown tinge on the toilet paper. Today, my urine color was brown initially and then became lighter. My period is not due now. I do not want to get pregnant. Please help.

Dr. Geetha Priyadarsini Kamminana

#

The brown rusty vaginal discharge appears to be one of the side effects of Tri-Sprintec (combination of Norgestimate and Ethinyl estradiol). Irregular periods, unscheduled bleeding and vaginal spotting are side effects during the first few months of starting Tri-Sprintec.

Another theory may also explain this unscheduled spotting. 26th of last month was close to your ovulation date on which you had intercourse and 30th coincides closely to the implantation date on which you may have vaginal spotting while implantation of the embryo occurs.

But again the above theory is highly unlikely as you have been on oral contraceptive pills for a long time and they cause anovulatory cycles that is no egg will be formed or released.

So for now hope for the best and wait for your periods. Stay optimistic. If you do not get your periods, then get a UPT (urine pregnancy test) done.

For further information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

|