Q. While on birth control pill, what can cause vaginal spotting?

Dr. Geeta Priyadarsini Kamminana
Published on Jun 10, 2016 and last reviewed on: Aug 02, 2019

I have been taking the birth control pill, Tri-Sprintec for almost five years now. I started my new pack of pills on 19 of last month. I had intercourse twice on 20th and once on the 21st of last month. I used to take my pill between 7 and 8 AM. One day I had pill at 6:30 AM as I woke up early and I hope that did not cause a problem. I started to notice a little pain on my right side in the pelvic area. I had intercourse again on 26th. I started my second week of the pack that day. During intercourse I felt pain, which never happened before. On 30th, when I was showering, I saw a rusty brown color discharge from my vagina and panicked immediately. When I continued to wipe my vagina a light brown, tan tinge appeared on the paper. Again on 31st, I saw a brown tinge on the toilet paper. Today, my urine color was brown initially and then became lighter. My period is not due now. I do not want to get pregnant. Please help.

Dr. Geeta Priyadarsini Kamminana

#

The brown rusty vaginal discharge appears to be one of the side effects of Tri-Sprintec (combination of Norgestimate and Ethinyl estradiol). Irregular periods, unscheduled bleeding and vaginal spotting are side effects during the first few months of starting Tri-Sprintec.

Another theory may also explain this unscheduled spotting. 26th of last month was close to your ovulation date on which you had intercourse and 30th coincides closely to the implantation date on which you may have vaginal spotting while implantation of the embryo occurs.

But again the above theory is highly unlikely as you have been on oral contraceptive pills for a long time and they cause anovulatory cycles that is no egg will be formed or released.

So for now hope for the best and wait for your periods. Stay optimistic. If you do not get your periods, then get a UPT (urine pregnancy test) done.

For further information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

Faint T Lines Appearing On Urine Pregnancy Tests,While Ultrasounds Say I Am Not Pregnant?

Query: Hi doctor, I have been trying to conceive for a few months, but every time the test comes back negative. My last periods was on the 25th of last month, and I started ovulating on the third of this month, and it ended on the 12th. My husband and I had sex on the fifth. Despite my history of irregular...  Read Full >>

Dr. Vidya

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. There are two possibilities here. One is a chemical pregnancy, where only the pregnancy test result come positive, and there is no evidence of sac on ultrasound. Second being a healthy pregnancy is a delayed conception or an ectopic. I suggest you do a serum beta hCG b...  Read Full

Had brownish discharge after protected sex. Is it implantation bleeding?

Query: Hi doctor, I had protected sex. Two weeks later, I had light brownish to light red color discharge that lasted for a day and the next day there was light brownish discharge. Is this implantation bleeding? I am worried. If so, after how days of implantation bleeding can I do blood test or hCG to dete...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. As you had protected sex and that too 15 days back, this brownish discharge could be due to irregular shedding possibly due to progesterone hormonal imbalance during the cycle. If it is implantation bleeding then it would have occurred in the next seven days. To be sur...  Read Full

I had sex with my partner last month and missed periods. Am I pregnant?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 35 years old and I had sex with my partner last month. My expected period date was a week later. Still, I did not get my periods. I have tried testing pregnancy strips the result was negative. I consumed Regestrone tablets for the past four days. We do not want to have a baby beca...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. If the urine pregnancy test was done after eight days post missed menses was negative then you are not pregnant. However, to be double sure, you may opt for a serum beta hCG test, where if the hCG levels are less than 3 mIU, then you can be sure that you are not pre...  Read Full