Q. I am bleeding while on birth control. What could be the reason?

This is a premium question & answer published on Jan 11, 2017 and last reviewed on: Mar 17, 2021

I am 20 years old. I am 134.3 pounds and approximately 5'6" tall. I am a new mother of 1.5 month old baby girl. I am on birth control and using the Nexplanon bar inserted into the arm postpartum. My issue is that I have started bleeding now. I am not breastfeeding and there is no milk production any longer. Is it possible to have your period soon after giving birth and while on birth control?

#

Firstly, after childbirth, there is bleeding in the form of lochia (normal uterus discharge after delivery), which is normal and usually lasts three weeks where the endometrium is shed

Also, breastfeeding promotes early involution of the uterus. So, it is advisable to continue breastfeeding for at least six months.

In your case, you have stopped breastfeeding and introduced Nexplanon, a progesterone insert, which has a life of three years.

For information, every progesterone based insert takes two to three months to adjust to the cycle and during that period spotting in the form of intermenstrual bleeding is common.

It is advisable to practice barrier contraception for at least three months till the periods are completely stopped after the insertion of Nexplanon.

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

|