Q. I have irregular periods with elevated cortisol and estradiol. Please help.

Dr. Richa Agarwal

I am a 50-year-old female in good health. I am not on any medication, and I eat well. 5'4" 140 pounds. I have an irregular period, fatigue, cyclical migraine headaches, anxiety, panic attacks, and dry eyes. My basal temperature does not indicate ovulation, and the blood report came back with low vitamin D, high cortisol 22, high estradiol 613. I was on the third day of my cycle. Is this estrogen dominance, and should I use progesterone cream?

#

Three things are important in your case-

1) High cortisol.

2) High estradiol.

3) Low vitamin D.

The most common cause of high-level cortisol is Cushing syndrome (pituitary adenoma) and stress.

Treatment- MRI to rule out pituitary adenoma. Release your stress with the change in your lifestyle and diet.

High estradiol mainly occurs during peri-menopausal age and with a low progesterone level.

Treatment - Use progesterone cream in high doses of 400 mg/ day in two divided doses.

Low vitamin D occurs in both the above conditions.

Treatment includes direct sun light exposure. You can use Cod liver oil, fish, and cholecalciferol sachet.

Your HbA1c level is also high. It indicates you are in the prediabetic stage. So take care of your blood sugar levels. So, in my opinion, you should consult a good endocrinologist and take treatment accordingly.

|