iCliniq logo

Ask a Doctor Online Now

HomeAnswersObstetrics and GynecologyspottingI have been diagnosed with hemorrhagic cyst and PCOD. Please help.

Can hemorrhagic cysts and PCOD cause spotting?

The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Answered by

Dr. Uzma Arqam

Medically reviewed by

iCliniq medical review team

Published At May 19, 2024
Reviewed AtMay 27, 2024

Patient's Query

Hello doctor,

I used to have regular periods. Last month, I had spotting. I took a scan that showed a hemorrhagic cyst of 1.12 inches in the right ovary and PCO. The doctor started me on Glucophage 250 mg twice a day. It has been one week since I started taking Glucophage, and again, I started spotting today.

Kindly help.

Answered by Dr. Uzma Arqam


Welcome to icliniq.com.

I read your query and can understand your concern.

I suggest you do so by adhering to the recommendations below.

  1. When was the second day of your period and your last scan?

  2. When did you observe your weight gain, and how much in recent months?

It is better to have one serum beta-hCG (beta human chorionic gonadotropin) to be on the safe side if you have a history of unprotected sex to check your pregnancy status. If negative, then continue as I am describing below. If positive, then discuss them here or with a local gynecologist as an emergency.

  1. I would suggest you have one transvaginal scan if you have right-sided localized abdominal pain to check the cyst status (torsion or rupture) or fluid in the pouch of Douglas. If nothing is abnormal in the scan, then only you can have treatment, as I am suggesting below. If findings are there, then discuss them here or with a local gynecologist as an emergency.

  2. I would suggest taking tablets of Mefenamic acid (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug) and Transenexamic acid (antifibrinolytic), both 500 mg (milligrams) every eighth hour for two to five days to stop bleeding if it is hormonal.

  3. To regulate cycles, I would suggest you have combined oral contraceptive pills for three cycles.

  4. Have a healthy diet with less salt, sugar, oil, and spice.

  5. If you are not observing any increase in appetite, dizziness, or weakness, then discuss with the prescribing doctor.

  6. Daily exercise, walking, and having a normal BMI (body mass index).

  7. Have thyroid function tests, a complete blood count, and sex hormonal tests on day 2 of periods (if done previously, no need; if not done, do serum insulin, serum progesterone, testosterone, prolactin, FSH (follicle stimulating hormone), or LH (luteinizing hormone), all of which are to be discussed here with a local gynecologist.

  8. Observe any symptoms, then discuss an emergency at a tertiary care hospital.

I suggest you consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her, and take the medicines with their consent.

I hope I have answered your question.

Let me know if I can assist you further.


Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Uzma Arqam
Dr. Uzma Arqam

Obstetrics and Gynecology

Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Read answers about:

pcosspottinghemorrhagic cyst

Ask your health query to a doctor online

Obstetrics and Gynecology

*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy