Q. After removing the spectacles, the eyes look crossed. How to correct them?

Dr. Anand
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 22, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

My 1-1/2 year old daughter is diagnosed with accommodative esotropia (crossed eye) and is recommended to wear glasses. And she has been wearing them for a month now. But, when I remove the glasses, the eyes still look crossed. But, looks fine when she wears the glasses. Is there a surgery for correcting the alignment? I understand that she has to wear glasses for long sight. Please suggest.

Dr. Anand

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

• Accommodative esotropia is in a way good type of squint. Because, it is treated by wearing glasses.
  • Good thing is that your daughter is diagnosed and treated early as late treatment may not be helpful.
  • Just keep wearing glasses and it will improve over period of years, when she becomes around 6 or 7 years of age.
  • Also it is a known fact that squint appears when glasses are removed.
  • No surgery is required in your case. Please send pictures of eyes and old records for more clear diagnosis and treatment.

Revert back with old records and photographs of eyes to an eye care ophthalmologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/eye-care-ophthalmologist

|