Squint Eyes

Is it advisable to correct eye squint with surgery?

Query: Hi, I am 25 years old. When I was 1 year old, I had heat stroke which caused eye squint. My glasses covers the squint but it gets noticeable in camera. Also, if I am not wearing glasses and someone looks at me from a distance, squint is quite noticeable. I have been told that my squint cannot be cor...  Read Full »

Dr. Arnab Pal

Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello. I am a squint Surgeon and you have expressed your query in a detailed way.Congratulations for that. I don't think heat stroke has caused your squint. I would definitely like to see pictures where the squint is visible. You seem to be suffering from alternate divergent squint. The amount of ...  Read Full »

How is a sudden vision disturbance in the lazy eye treated?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a congenital left lazy eye, which wanders outwards and upwards. This is managed by prism glasses, currently 7 base vertically and 2 horizontally. I am managing my eye strain and daily life well in general. I do however have occasional episodes, which are not manageable. Sometimes, ...  Read Full »

Dr. Vaibhev Mittal

Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Lazy eye is not congenital. It is acquired due to the presence of anisometropia (difference in the refractive status of both eyes) or due to squint or due to congenital cataract or ptosis, etc. Sometimes, lazy eye tends to move out to lead to squint and for that prism ...  Read Full »

Can myopia be permanently cured?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a congenital squint problem. Till 12 to 13 years of age, my eyesight was good. Then, I developed myopia. It is mainly because of television. Now, I am 21 years old and have power glasses of -3.5. Is there any permanent solution for my condition? Please explain even if it is a surg...  Read Full »

Dr. Vaibhev Mittal

Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. There is no medication or food for improving eyesight or to get rid of glasses. If you are not interested in glasses, then you can try contact lens or LASIK (a laser eye surgery). As your age is 21, your number will not increase further. Whether you wear glasses or not,...  Read Full »

Can intermittent exotropia cure on its own?

Query: Hello doctor, I developed intermittent exotropia in late adulthood. I am 29 years old and this started about two years now. Should I concern about it?  Read Full »

Dr. Pooja Pandya

Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. As you have described you have started intermittent exotropia at later age right. See that is called strabismus in medical terminology usually we can treat it if it is by birth. But in your case situation is different. So there can be some neurological issues which ...  Read Full »

I am not able to focus both my eyes on a single point. Why?

Query: Hi doctor, When I look towards my left, I can use either left eye or right eye. I am unable to focus both the eyes on a single point. Also, When I move my eyes towards left, my left eyeball goes little upward than the right. Please help.  Read Full »

Dr. Shikha

General Practitioner, Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. This is a very distressing situation being not able to focus both of the eyes at a single point at a time. This is a situation known as squint. It is because of fusion abnormality when the image from both the eyes is not formed at a single point on the retina. At first, g...  Read Full »

What causes restricted eye movement?

Query: Hi doctor, My son is 10 days old. His right eye has never turned towards right. It has looked left, straight, up and down but never right. His left eye has a full range of movement. I have read about squint strabismus. However, I do not read anything about a restricted eye movement. Should I be conc...  Read Full »

Dr. Vaibhev Mittal

Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: HI, Welcome to icliniq.com. Restricted eye movement suggests two things: Duane Retraction syndrome (DRS). Congenital sixth nerve palsy. DRS is usually associated with decrease in palpebral aperture in left gaze and normal in attempted right gaze. So look for that. Both the above are conditions assoc...  Read Full »

Will my eyes look straight after squint surgery?

Query: Hi, I am 20 years old. Next month I am going to have my squint surgery for cosmetic purpose. I do not have vision in my right eye now and it turned inwards. After this surgery, will both my eyes look straight? Either I see left or right or up or down will both my eyes work together? How many hour...  Read Full »

Dr. Vaibhev Mittal

Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. This squint is sensory esotropia, which means that due to some cause your retina detached leaving you with no vision in that eye and at that early age brain failed to keep both eyes straight leaving to squint. Success rate of squint surgery is quite high (90%). Even afte...  Read Full »

Are spherical numbers of -4 and -2.5 concerning in a 4-year-old kid?

Query: Hello doctor, Please find the eye report of my 4-year-old son. He is not getting much issues in walking, in long-distance reading and in anything, but in the eye test report he got -4 and -2.5 spherical numbers in the eyes. Is it a very serious number? I am very tensed as I thought - 4 is a very bi...  Read Full »

Dr. Manjunath Natarajan

Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your attached photo. (attachment removed to protect patient identity). There are both spherical and cylindrical powers in both of his eyes. This power is large for a 4-year-old boy and I understand your concern. Regarding the cause, the given a...  Read Full »

Will a little cross-eye with normal focus correct on its own?

Query: Hello doctor, My daughter is 10 months old and has a little cross-eyed. Her eyes movements are normal, and so focusing on objects and all behavior seems normal. I was told by our family pediatrician that it is minor and might go away as time passes. Please check the attached photo and let me know y...  Read Full »

Dr. Dada Peer K

Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I reviewed the history and saw the photos. (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Squint or crossing of the eyes needs evaluation and treatment. In your daughter's case who is 10 months old, the first thing to be done is differentiating pseudosquint from ...  Read Full »

when the child looks straight, it appears as if looking elsewhere. How to correct this problem?

Query: Hello doctor, I want to know if it is possible to correct the eyes of a child that does not focus properly. The condition is when the child is looking straight, the eyes appear as if it is looking elsewhere.  Read Full »

Dr. Pooja Bandivadekar

Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your child has squint eyes. This can be due to multiple causes. 1. Refractive error or glass number. 2. Congenital squint due to neurological issues. 3. Retinal or optic nerve pathology. Kindly get your child evaluated from a pediatric ophthalmologist. Initially,...  Read Full »