Q. What treatment can be done for divergent squint eye?

Dr. Bhavna
Published on Feb 17, 2019

I have a complete retinal detachment in my left eye from an early age (11 to 12), went to many places including renowned eye care hospitals but nothing worked. Anyways, after a few days my left eye started to go outward and within a short time went completely outward (divergent squint). At that time, I did not care nor did my parents but now I am 22 years of age and suffer from social anxiety because of my eye. So the question is can it be corrected with surgery? Is there any chance of me having double vision after the surgery assuming everything goes well? Thirdly, an eye doctor said it may again turn one day. Is that true? Is there any possibility of eye turning again after surgery?

Dr. Bhavna

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

Firstly, as you have mentioned that you have had a total retinal detachment (RD) in your LE during childhood, I would like to emphasize on the fact that RD surgery will not help in improving your vision. The squint you are talking about is an adaptive mechanism of the eye towards poor vision due to RD (abnormal retinal correspondence). Even after squint surgery, the vision would not improve. Squint surgery involves either lengthening or shortening of the muscle. So the amount of correction needed is only a subjective measure.

Only for cosmetic reasons, squint can be corrected. The outcome of surgery can be analyzed only by performing certain tests. Also, whether the squint can revert back or not can be decided only by the test results. So, kindly revert back to me with the following test reports. Refraction testing, intraocular pressure, dilated fundus examination, B scan of LE, OCT of LE, squint evaluation (qualitative and quantitative).

Coming back to your questions. Firstly, squint correction can be done for cosmetic reasons with no visual outcome. There are chances of having double vision or diplopia after squit surgery, depending on whether there is over or under correction. There are chances of squint reverting back (due to various other reasons). Kindly revert back with your reports.

My age is 26. I have crossed eyes/squint eyes. Suggest me any solution.

Query: Hi, My age is 26 years. I have crossed eyes problem. Can it be brought back to normal by a surgery?  Read Full »

Kindly give your expert advice for my father's eye problem.

Query: Hi doctor, My father, who is 53 years old, has been diabetic for the last 20 years and takes Insulin. His eye problem started before a year. Due to which there is blurred vision and everything he sees seems red. According to physicians, there is a blood clot on the retina and for which they have...  Read Full »

After squint surgery, will my eyes look straight?

Query: Hi, I am 20 years old. Next month I am going to have my squint surgery for cosmetic purpose. I do not have vision in my right eye now and it turned inwards. After this surgery, will both my eyes look straight? Either I see left or right or up or down will both my eyes work together? How many hour...  Read Full »