Retinal Detachment

Are eye floaters an emergency condition, and should I consult the doctor immediately?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 46 years old and have had eye floaters for more than 15 years. I noticed two small ones in my right eye as well. Nothing bothers me, but my eyes burn continuously, and water comes out of my eyes. I do not have any blurry vision, curtain effects on the eyes, loss of peripheral visi...  Read Full »

Dr. Gargi Madhukar Apte

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Eye floaters are not always an emergency. In your case, you have a few floaters but no flashes of light and curtain effect, so I suggest you wait till your appointment. If you feel they are increasing or associated with flashes, visit the emergency room. Also, the chan...  Read Full »

My optometrist referred me to a neurologist because I see flashes in my eyes. Please suggest something.

Query: Hello doctor,I went to my optometrist three weeks ago because of flashes in the side and upper part of my eye. He dilated my eyes, but nothing was found. So he sent me to a neurologist, and sometimes my head hurts daily. Please help.  Read Full »

Dr. Prashant Koranmath

Answer: Hello,Welcome to icliniq.com.A jelly-like substance in the eye called vitreous humor starts to liquefy with age, and you might see floaters. I suggest you consult an ophthalmologist immediately if the floaters increase, there is decreased vision, or you see flashes of light. These are the signs of r...  Read Full »

Does having sexual intercourse impact the laser eye surgery performed three days?

Query: Hello doctor, I had a pan-retinal photocoagulation laser (PRP laser) in my retina about three or four days ago. Can I have sexual intercourse after this treatment or is it safer to wait?  Read Full »

Dr. Vaibhev Mittal

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You can involve in sexual activities. This particular laser treatment has no relation with intercourse. I hope this helps. Regards. For further queries consult an eye care ophthalmologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/eye-care-ophthalmologis...  Read Full »

My eye feels sore even after three days of the accident. Is it normal?

Query: Hello doctor, I was hit by a rock while using a lawn mower. The rock hit my eyelid and thumped my eye pretty hard. I always wear eye protection but had removed them as the sun was going down. I have no vision changes and was actually seen by my optometrist after the incident. My question is, is it...  Read Full »

Dr. Bandivadekar Pooja Mohan

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, it is normal to feel pain if you have experienced trauma. There are two manifestations of trauma. The early manifestations being usually in the form of a bruise over the skin, subconjunctival hemorrhage, an abrasion over epithelium or frank perforation. Two to t...  Read Full »

My eyes are sensitive to light, and I can see floaters. What can I do?

Query: Hello doctor,I have always been a little sensitive to light, maybe because I work a lot in front of a screen. I have seen some eye floaters for a couple of years when looking at something bright-like in snow, white screen, or skies. Two weeks ago, my eyes got very tired after using a smartphone scre...  Read Full »

Dr. Akshay U. Nayak

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand your concern. I had taken a look at the image (attachments removed to protect the patient's identity) there is nothing to worry about. Floaters are extremely common. Almost everyone at some point in their lives sees it. We only worry when floaters incr...  Read Full »

My eye pressure is 32 mmHg. How to bring it back to the normal range?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 65 years old. I developed partial retinal detachment in the right eye. An urgent surgery was done and a silicone oil has been filled. This happened around two months back. The vision field is restored and the retina is reported to be well attached. But, about two weeks back the pres...  Read Full »

Dr. Asif Manzoor

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. As you have described above that your both eyes got operated for cataract and multifocal intraocular lenses implanted and now you had retinal attachment surgery (most probably pars plana vitrectomy PPV plus silicone oil) about two months back, which is now causing increas...  Read Full »

What are the precautions to be taken for lattice degeneration?

Query: Hi doctor,What are the precautions should be taken in case of lattice degeneration? Also, what is the list of don'ts and do's?  Read Full »

Dr. Bandivadekar Pooja Mohan

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Lattice degeneration is a weak or a thin spot in retina. You need to get annual retina checkup and look for floaters or flashes. Contact retina specialist if there is a curtain-like appearance in front of your eyes. Avoid excessive strenuous activity. If a family history ...  Read Full »

How long does it take for uveitis to damage the eyes permanently?

Query: Hello doctor, My daughter has been diagnosed with posterior idiopathic uveitis, and she also has type 1 diabetes. The diagnosis was made about six weeks ago, and three weeks ago she was put on Prednisone, but I am not sure. Her eyesight was originally blurred around the periphery, which became clear...  Read Full »

Dr. Vaibhev Mittal

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Permanent vision damage occurs due to many causes like cystoid macular edema, glaucoma, or neovascularization, leading to retinal detachment. It is tough to comment if any of these will happen to your kid or not. Moreover, it is tough to predict the occurrence of this...  Read Full »

Can increase in number of vitreous floaters in eye cause PVD?

Query: Hi doctor, Recently, I started seeing vitreous floaters a few weeks back. I noticed it eight months back. But my floaters are getting different. I had a few of them for twenty years. Now I have a few of them on my both eyes. They also come with something called jelly and they are not really notic...  Read Full »

Dr. Prashant Koranmath

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. There is presence of a jelly-like substance in the eyes called vitreous. As the age progresses, it starts to liquefy and you start seeing floaters. You can also see floaters and flashes when vitreous get detached from the retina. You can consult an opthalmologist immedi...  Read Full »

Can retinal detachment result in large eye floaters and itching?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a huge floater in my eye for two days. I was taking a shower last night. My eye was itchy, and I rubbed it. It is a holiday here, and my eye doctor is closed. I am worried. Could I possibly have a detached retina? But I do not want to go to the ER if it is unnecessary. The eye doe...  Read Full »

Dr. Asha Juliet Barboza

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Thanks for writing in. Is the floater a single squiggly line, a ring, or a more oversized shape that is black that obstructs your line of vision? Your correct age is not mentioned and whether you had short-sightedness before cataract surgery. You might have developed so...  Read Full »