Retinal Detachment

Can retinal detachment result in large eye floaters and itching?

Query: I have a very large floater in my eye, I was taking a shower last night and my eye was itchy and I rubbed it. It’s a holiday here and my eye doctor is closed. I’m worried could I possibly have a detached retina but I don’t want to go to the ER if it’s unnecessary. Eye doesn&r...  Read Full »

Dr. Asha Barboza

Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello, Thanks for writing in. Is the floater a single squiggly line, a ring or a bigger shape that is black in colour that obstructs your line of vision? Your correct age is not mentioned or if you had short sightedness before cataract surgery. You might have developed something called a PVD (poste...  Read Full »

Can I wear my old glasses after my retinal detachment surgery?

Query: Hello doctor, Can I wear my old glasses after my retinal detachent surgery? The surgery was done 10 days back.  Read Full »

Dr. Arnab Pal

Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You have refractive power of eyes and hence the glass power is likely to change after a RD surgery due to a number of causes. Firstly, the liquid inside your eye is removed (vitrectomy) in retina surgery and replaced by a gas or a silicon oil. All these changes the...  Read Full »

Why is my vision blurred after an eye injury?

Query: Hi doctor, Two days back, I got a hit in my eye with a ball. Still, it is paining with blurred image. Please help.  Read Full »

Dr. Asif Manzoor

Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. After trauma with the ball, there could be many things that can cause blurring. It could be a simple eyelid swelling or small abrasion on the cornea, the front transparent surface of the eye. Other causes may be inflammation in the eye or blood inside the ey...  Read Full »

What is the most common cause of retinal detachment in diabetic patient?

Query: Hello doctor, I am worried about my mother's retinal detachment. She has diabetes and hypertension. I have an x-ray of her eye. She is currently located abroad and I would love to have a second opinion on what process she should be taking.  Read Full »

Dr. Hussein Ayoub

Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Let me first reassure you, your mother case seems to be not urgent. Judging by the information you gave and the attached O.C.T scan (attachment removed to protect patient identity) you have done: -The left eye seems quite normal. -The right eye has some macular ed...  Read Full »

What does retinal detachment mean?

Query: Hi doctor, While blinking my eyes, some round shaped image is appearing in my left eyelid. I seek doctor’s advice and he said that I have a retinal detachment. Please help.  Read Full »

Dr. Asif Manzoor

Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The round images you see are called floaters. These are associated with posterior vitreous detachment (PVD). With PVD there may be a break or hole in retina and that can lead to retinal detachment (RD). With retinal detachment initially there may be a curtain in the visua...  Read Full »

When should I worry about eye floaters?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 63-year-old female. I started getting flashes in the right eye a couple of days ago, and now have a floater in the shape of the flashes. I was not too worried. But today flashes have started up again in the same area. Given the pandemic, eye doctors are only open for emergency ca...  Read Full »

Dr. Souhad

Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Flashes can signify many conditions affecting the inner layers of the eye starting with the vitreous (the gel structure pressing down the retina - in high myopes it is usually dissociated) where floaters are usually located. If you have high blood pressure or diabete...  Read Full »

Why do I experience streaks of light in dark with gray shadow in peripheral vision?

Query: Hello doctor, I began to see streaks of light across my vision in the dark and realized I have a gray shadow in the left peripheral vision of my right eye since yesterday evening. I have been spending time on my laptop or phone for more than 10 hours a day and sometimes, I watch the screens in the ...  Read Full »

Dr. Prashant Koranmath

Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Using a computer for a long time causes dry eye syndrome due to decreased blink rate. Take frequent breaks and look at far objects as the eyes are strained looking at close object for a long time. Keep the brightness of the system to minimal. Use tear drops twice a d...  Read Full »

My grandmother has eye floaters with minimal eyesight. Please suggest solution.

Query: Hello doctor, My grandmother is 65 years old. She has a problem with eye flashes for four years. She complaints of getting lights in her eyes in various shapes like stars, sparks, and pictures of various colors. She is left with only 5% eyesight. Please recommend the best medicine and eye drops for...  Read Full »

Dr. Anand

Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Flashes are usually due to retinal problems like retinal tears, or detachment. Floaters in diabetics can be due to blood in the vitreous. These have to be treated with lasers, retinal surgeries and/or intravitreal Avastin injections. As she is left with only 5% of visio...  Read Full »

How serious is temporal pigmentation with retinal elevation?

Query: Hi doctor, I went to an optometrist and diagnosed with something like below. Retinal exam showed OD temporal area of pigmentation (old chrpe vs atropical hole) with area of retinal elevation. I have attached the optomaps. Can you please tell me how serious is this? Does it need surgery?  Read Full »

Dr. Manjunath Natarajan

Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your optomap. (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The first (left eye) one seems fine. The second one (right eye) on your left-hand side has a few changes. It is a bit tricky to make assumptions based on images, but are you referri...  Read Full »

What is the treatment for eye flashes which occured following an accident?

Query: Hello doctor, I have eyes flashes for about five years now. After I have an accident on my nose it looks like the liquid in the eyes is moving or pulling. What treatment I can do? Although I did a lot of tests for retina, what else I can do insted of waiting to see if this problem stops by it self...  Read Full »

Dr. K K Agrawal

Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Flashes in front of eyes is a classical sign of retinal detachment and posterior vitreous detachment. You should get your retina checked by a vitreo retinal specialist. Since you had trauma near your eye just before these flashes started, there is a strong possibili...  Read Full »