Retinal Detachment

How can you prevent retinal detachment in high myopia?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 19-year-old male. I am highly myopic. My left eye is -9.75, and my right eye is around -7.5. I just had an eye examination one month ago, and my eye is in good shape without any degeneration. I am an athlete, and I do a lot of running, weight lifting, and jumping exercises such...  Read Full »

Dr. Shachi Dwivedi

Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I saw your reports (attachment removed to protect patient's identity). As of now, all seems fine. As far as the risk of detachment is concerned, it does not happen just like that. There will be a retinal hole or tear or a lattice degeneration in myopics before the ri...  Read Full »

Can increase in number of vitreous floaters in eye cause PVD?

Query: Hi recently started seeing vitreous floaters a few weeks ago. I noticed it before 8 months that my floaters were getting a bit different, I had had a few for about twenty years. I now have quite a few in both eyes and they also come with something that I would describe as jelly that is not really no...  Read Full »

Dr. Prashant Koranmath

Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello, There is a jelly like substance in the eye called Vitreous and as age progresses it starts to liquify and you start seeing floaters. Or when the Vitreous gets detached from retina you see floaters and flashes. You should go to an Ophthalmologist immediately in case if there is increase in n...  Read Full »

I have a low vision in my right eye with number -18. Can it be cured?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 28 year old female. I have a low vision in my right eye with number -18. Can it be cured? What are the chances that it will come to my next generation?  Read Full »

Dr. David J Mathew

Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. From what you have described, you have a high myopic refractive error (minus 18 diopter) in the right eye. I am assuming that the vision in your left eye is normal. If it is not, then please let me know. The right eye is likely to be amblyopic that is it did not receive e...  Read Full »

Why does my diabetic father have blurred vision, and everything he looks seems red?

Query: Hi doctor, My father, who is 53 years old, has been diabetic for the last 20 years and takes Insulin. His eye problem started before a year. Due to which there is blurred vision and everything he sees seems red. According to physicians, there is a blood clot on the retina and for which they have...  Read Full »

Dr. Shikha

General Practitioner, Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. He has got retinal detachment RD along with hemorrhage. It does not occur in a day and it is a very long process. First and foremost is to control diabetes. Then, he is receiving injection Accentrix (Ranibizumab), which can only be explained on the basis of examinati...  Read Full »

Can retinal detachment result in large eye floaters and itching?

Query: I have a very large floater in my eye, I was taking a shower last night and my eye was itchy and I rubbed it. It’s a holiday here and my eye doctor is closed. I’m worried could I possibly have a detached retina but I don’t want to go to the ER if it’s unnecessary. Eye doesn&r...  Read Full »

Dr. Asha Barboza

Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello, Thanks for writing in. Is the floater a single squiggly line, a ring or a bigger shape that is black in colour that obstructs your line of vision? Your correct age is not mentioned or if you had short sightedness before cataract surgery. You might have developed something called a PVD (poste...  Read Full »

Can I wear my old glasses after my retinal detachment surgery?

Query: Hello doctor, Can I wear my old glasses after my retinal detachent surgery? The surgery was done 10 days back.  Read Full »

Dr. Arnab Pal

Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You have refractive power of eyes and hence the glass power is likely to change after a RD surgery due to a number of causes. Firstly, the liquid inside your eye is removed (vitrectomy) in retina surgery and replaced by a gas or a silicon oil. All these changes the...  Read Full »

Why is my vision blurred after an eye injury?

Query: Hi doctor, Two days back, I got a hit in my eye with a ball. Still, it is paining with blurred image. Please help.  Read Full »

Dr. Asif Manzoor

Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. After trauma with the ball, there could be many things that can cause blurring. It could be a simple eyelid swelling or small abrasion on the cornea, the front transparent surface of the eye. Other causes may be inflammation in the eye or blood inside the ey...  Read Full »

What is the most common cause of retinal detachment in diabetic patient?

Query: Hello doctor, I am worried about my mother's retinal detachment. She has diabetes and hypertension. I have an x-ray of her eye. She is currently located abroad and I would love to have a second opinion on what process she should be taking.  Read Full »

Dr. Hussein Ayoub

Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Let me first reassure you, your mother case seems to be not urgent. Judging by the information you gave and the attached O.C.T scan (attachment removed to protect patient identity) you have done: -The left eye seems quite normal. -The right eye has some macular ed...  Read Full »

What does retinal detachment mean?

Query: Hi doctor, While blinking my eyes, some round shaped image is appearing in my left eyelid. I seek doctor’s advice and he said that I have a retinal detachment. Please help.  Read Full »

Dr. Asif Manzoor

Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The round images you see are called floaters. These are associated with posterior vitreous detachment (PVD). With PVD there may be a break or hole in retina and that can lead to retinal detachment (RD). With retinal detachment initially there may be a curtain in the visua...  Read Full »

When should I worry about eye floaters?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 63-year-old female. I started getting flashes in the right eye a couple of days ago, and now have a floater in the shape of the flashes. I was not too worried. But today flashes have started up again in the same area. Given the pandemic, eye doctors are only open for emergency ca...  Read Full »

Dr. Souhad

Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Flashes can signify many conditions affecting the inner layers of the eye starting with the vitreous (the gel structure pressing down the retina - in high myopes it is usually dissociated) where floaters are usually located. If you have high blood pressure or diabete...  Read Full »