Retinal Detachment

My grandmother has eye floaters with minimal eyesight. Please suggest solution.

Query: Hello doctor, My grandmother is 65 years old. She has a problem with eye flashes for four years. She complaints of getting lights in her eyes in various shapes like stars, sparks, and pictures of various colors. She is left with only 5% eyesight. Please recommend the best medicine and eye drops for...  Read Full »

Dr. Anand

Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Flashes are usually due to retinal problems like retinal tears, or detachment. Floaters in diabetics can be due to blood in the vitreous. These have to be treated with lasers, retinal surgeries and/or intravitreal Avastin injections. As she is left with only 5% of visio...  Read Full »

How serious is temporal pigmentation with retinal elevation?

Query: Hi doctor, I went to an optometrist and diagnosed with something like below. Retinal exam showed OD temporal area of pigmentation (old chrpe vs atropical hole) with area of retinal elevation. I have attached the optomaps. Can you please tell me how serious is this? Does it need surgery?  Read Full »

Dr. Manjunath Natarajan

Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your optomap. (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The first (left eye) one seems fine. The second one (right eye) on your left-hand side has a few changes. It is a bit tricky to make assumptions based on images, but are you referri...  Read Full »

What is the treatment for eye flashes which occured following an accident?

Query: Hello doctor, I have eyes flashes for about five years now. After I have an accident on my nose it looks like the liquid in the eyes is moving or pulling. What treatment I can do? Although I did a lot of tests for retina, what else I can do insted of waiting to see if this problem stops by it self...  Read Full »

Dr. K K Agrawal

Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Flashes in front of eyes is a classical sign of retinal detachment and posterior vitreous detachment. You should get your retina checked by a vitreo retinal specialist. Since you had trauma near your eye just before these flashes started, there is a strong possibili...  Read Full »

Why do I see spinning wheel or fan type of thing in side vision?

Query: Hello doctor, I have noticed that sometimes I can see two or one spinning wheel or fan type thing in my side vision. Suddenly it comes and goes on its own. What can it be? I am scared about retinal detachment. Last I got my retina tested 1.5 years ago and it was fine.  Read Full »

Dr. Prashant Koranmath

Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. These things are floaters. They happen due to changes in the vitreous which is jelly like thing in front of retina. If you are seeing now and then, just ignore it. If there is an increase in number of floaters and if you start seeing flashes then consult an Ophthalmo...  Read Full »

Why is there a white haze sometimes?

Query: Hello doctor, Sometimes, when I am doing stuff, my vision makes it seem like there is a white haze, like heaven, I guess. Like everything has a white haze light. It is pure not like fog or a dirty color. Sometimes it lasts a few minutes, other times a few seconds. Sometimes I see it, other times we...  Read Full »

Dr. Manjunath Natarajan

Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. There are a number of causes which could lead to such a problem. In the eyes, macular degeneration can cause problems like a distortion of images, also called metamorphopsia and a drop in vision. Retinal detachment can cause flashes of light which come and go in an i...  Read Full »

Why is there a flash of light when I see side to side?

Query: Hello doctor, I have an odd thing happening in my left eye. I see a flash of light when I look right to left in the left side of my eye. It is a curve from top to bottom. It happens in daylight, nighttime, and even in the dark with my eyes closed. I move my pupil left to right and see a bright arc ...  Read Full »

Dr. Manjunath Natarajan

Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. This occurrence of flashes of light can be due to various causes. The first and the most probable cause could be posterior vitreous detachment, this is a benign condition not requiring any treatment. Here, you may experience some floaters but no reduction in vision or ...  Read Full »

Should I stop weight training after laser eye surgery?

Query: Hello doctor,I have been doing weight training for six months but recently my eye specialist told me to not lift heavy weights because I had laser treatment for retinal holes three years ago. So, should I stop weight training completely or should I drop the weights? Currently, I am doing deadlifts a...  Read Full »

Dr. Asif Manzoor

Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. There is no limit of weight lifting as such. But usually heavy weight lifting or strenuous exercise is banned if there are untreated breaks. If breaks are secured with a sufficient laser that usually takes 1 to 2 weeks for maximum effect. But there is always a risk of n...  Read Full »

Can divergent eye squint be treated with surgery?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a complete retinal detachment in my left eye from an early age (11 to 12), went to many places including renowned eye care hospitals but nothing worked. Anyways, after a few days my left eye started to go outward and within a short time went completely outward (divergent squint...  Read Full »

Dr. Bhavna

Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Firstly, as you have mentioned that you have had a total retinal detachment (RD) in your LE during childhood, I would like to emphasize on the fact that RD surgery will not help in improving your vision. The squint you are talking about is an adaptive mechanism of the e...  Read Full »

Can I play football again after retinal tear?

Query: Hello doctor, Can I play football again after retinal tear? It has been seven months after eye laser and I have been great, no more flashing lights for few months and no vision problems.  Read Full »

Dr. Manjunath Natarajan

Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I, unfortunately, have to say no. The fact that you have had a retinal tear which had to be treated by laser tells me that you are at future risk of another tear. The tear by itself can progress to retinal detachment and can permanently decrease the visual acuity of you...  Read Full »

I have sudden blurring of vision on one eye. Is it due to retinal detachment?

Query: Hello doctor, My vision was crystal clear this morning. I just woke up from a nap, and the vision in my left eye is blurry. It has not cleared up in the past half an hour. Twice over the years, this has happened, and it normalized over a few hours, but I am in a jungle now. So, I would like to err ...  Read Full »

Dr. Shikha

General Practitioner, Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Did you get any surgery done for retinal detachment earlier? It may be a recurrent episode of retinal detachment. If you have diabetes or hypertension that may be a cause of this detachment. It can also happen in vitreous hemorrhage in which you will see a slightly ...  Read Full »