Q. I have stomach pain and swollen ankles. What could be the problem?

Dr. Arul Amuthan
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 30, 2018 and last reviewed on: Sep 12, 2020

Hello Doctor,

Since 1 month I have been suffering from stomach problem. Whenever I eat something, I immediately have stomach pain and pass stools. There is swelling in both the ankles. I feel weak. What could be the problem?

#

• The stomach ache may be due to peptic ulcer.
  • If the pain increases after consuming food, then the location of ulcer is in the stomach.
  • Hence, such patients hesitate to eat food despite hunger.
  • On the other hand, if the abdominal pain is seen before food and the pain subsides after food, then the ulcer is located in the duodenum.
  • These patients eat more not to get pain and sometimes put on weight. 
  • In both the conditions, patients suffer from flatulence (gas in stomach) and frequent defecation.
  • Avoid spicy, oily (for example: fried rice), hard food (for example: roti), non-vegetarian food and potatoes.
  • Some patients do not have pain before food.
  • They have urgency to defecate immediately after food. This is known as Irritable Bowel Syndrome.
  • This is due to irregular toilet habits, stress, late night sleep etc.
  • The treatment is different from peptic ulcer in this case.
  • Yoga is the best to reduce tension and stress.
  • Many good herbal drugs are there to empty the stool from intestine every morning. They are called as laxatives
  • Regarding ankle edema, it is the earliest sign of some future disease, hence this should not be ignored.
  • You have to go for a heart check up and kidney function tests. 

Revert back with the reports to a family physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/family-physician

| 

Related Video

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) - Symptoms, Causes and Treatment

Article Overview: Irritable bowel syndrome is one of the annoying gastrointestinal tract diseases because of the chronic nature of the disease and the variety of symptoms that can interfere with your daily life. Read Article

Dr. Mahmoud Abdallah Elashkar

Irritable bowel syndrome is a functional disturbance of colonic motility without organic causes. IBS is characterized by abdominal pain and altered bowel habits. Causes:  Unknown, but psychological disturbance plays a role. Symptoms: IBS is known to have a long history with long interval pe...  Read Article

My child is passing stool with bright red blood in evenings. Suggest ayurvedic cure.

Query: Hello doctor, I have an 8-year-old girl child who weighs 30 kg. She passes stool with blood in bright red color only at evening i.e., the second time of the day when she goes to the toilet. But in the morning, she do not have any complaint. Some abdominal pain is also there. Her scan report is norm...  Read Full »

I have IBS and seems to be related to SIBO. Please advise management.

Query: Hi doctor, I realize I have IBS symptoms and they seem to be related to SIBO. I need your advice on how to treat it effectively. Here are some symptoms and test results. Leaky gut or intestinal permeability with multiple food intolerances. Seems to have hydrogen sulfide based SIBO, severe farting...  Read Full »

Does CD marker help in identification of blood cancer?
Hi doctor, I am a 25-year-old male suffering from joint pain and pain in the knees. I also have nausea, vomiting, gynec...  Read more»
I suddenly got fainted and woked up with bruising in eyes. Why?
Hi doctor,I am 28 years old with normal weight and following a vegetarian diet. Last month, I fainted at home and my fri...  Read more»

Ask a Family Physician Now