Q. I have stomach pain and swollen ankles. What could be the problem?

Dr. Arul Amuthan
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 30, 2018 and last reviewed on: Sep 12, 2020

Hello Doctor,

Since 1 month I have been suffering from stomach problem. Whenever I eat something, I immediately have stomach pain and pass stools. There is swelling in both the ankles. I feel weak. What could be the problem?

Dr. Arul Amuthan

Ayurveda Specialist Naturopathy Pharmacology Siddha Medicine Toxicology
#

• The stomach ache may be due to peptic ulcer.
  • If the pain increases after consuming food, then the location of ulcer is in the stomach.
  • Hence, such patients hesitate to eat food despite hunger.
  • On the other hand, if the abdominal pain is seen before food and the pain subsides after food, then the ulcer is located in the duodenum.
  • These patients eat more not to get pain and sometimes put on weight. 
  • In both the conditions, patients suffer from flatulence (gas in stomach) and frequent defecation.
  • Avoid spicy, oily (for example: fried rice), hard food (for example: roti), non-vegetarian food and potatoes.
  • Some patients do not have pain before food.
  • They have urgency to defecate immediately after food. This is known as Irritable Bowel Syndrome.
  • This is due to irregular toilet habits, stress, late night sleep etc.
  • The treatment is different from peptic ulcer in this case.
  • Yoga is the best to reduce tension and stress.
  • Many good herbal drugs are there to empty the stool from intestine every morning. They are called as laxatives
  • Regarding ankle edema, it is the earliest sign of some future disease, hence this should not be ignored.
  • You have to go for a heart check up and kidney function tests. 

Revert back with the reports to a family physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/family-physician

|