Q. The stretch marks on my inner thighs hurt. Please help.

Answered by
Dr. Chaitra Prakash
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
Published on Aug 17, 2015 and last reviewed on: Jun 11, 2019

Hello doctor,

I have stretch marks on my inner thighs and buttocks area. When I sit for about 30 minutes, the stretch marks hurt (in the scale of 1-10, the pain is around 8). So, I have to stand up once in a while. More and more stretch marks appear when they hurt and they hurt too. It is very uncomfortable, and it already affects my work (programmer) where I have to sit all the time.

I have visited 4 dermatologists already, and one of them even said that stretch marks are not painful, maybe it is varicose veins. I already tried laser, derma roller, pain reliever, retin A, collagen cream and cocoa butter (but they did not work) as per doctors advise. This all started when I started gaining weight/muscle a few years ago. I already stopped going to the gym and all my supplements about a month ago, but the pain is still there.



Welcome to icliniq.com.I have gone through your history and picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity). I get your worry.

I can see that you have already tried a lot of therapies for the same with not much relief. Weight gain is usually a gradual process and not much skin stretch pain is experienced. But few nerve endings become exposed to the exterior in the stretched skin. When weight loss occurs, stretched skin hangs back loose. But it is still not back to normal skin. It is still thin and exposing your sensitive nerves when you stretch, like when you sit or squat. This is why you get that pain sensation during such activity.Now having considered that you have tried most of the options, I would suggest you try a few additional measures that can help.

  1. If you are still on a weight loss plan, please do it very gradually. If you have already lost substantial weight, maintain good nutrition.
  2. Massage your skin with a moisturizer 2-3 times a day using Vitamin C serums or Cetaphil restoraderm to build a good epidermal barrier.
  3. You can use aloe vera based gels or ice when you have acute pain sensation.
  4. You can take Vitamin C capsules for better collagen formation.
  5. Changing postures from a constant stretched one often does help rebuild the skin.

Hi doctor,

Thank you for replying. I already bought collagen serum and vitamin c serum. Both did not work. I am still in pain. Is there a surgery to remove this? I am really depressed right now.



Welcome back to icliniq.com.

All the therapies to induce new skin formation in stretch marks especially the collagen may take about 4 to 12 weeks duration. It requires a multimodal approach to get the desired results. If the topical medications are not helping you much, please consult your dermatologist regarding microneedling and laser options.

Also Read Answers From:

Related Questions & Answers

What is the solution for face color being dark when body is white?

Query: Hi doctor,I am a female and my age is 25 years. My body is white but face dark black. I have used many creams and lotions but there is no change. So, I want a solution for this.  Read Full »

Please help with itchy red rashes on the thigh.

Query: Hi doctor, I am having a problem with dry skin and rashes. I have a history of atopic eczema on the neck for which I am applying Flutivate cream. 4 weeks back some red rashes started coming up with itching. I thought it is because of dry skin, so I applied coconut oil and moisturizer. The redness ha...  Read Full »

I have acne scars and pits on my cheeks with uneven skin tone. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I have acne scars and acne pits on my cheeks as well as uneven skin tone. What should I do?  Read Full »



Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Dermatologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.
Enter Your Health Query
You can upload files and images in the next step.



Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.