Q. Why are there acne scars and acne pits on my cheeks with uneven skin tone?

Dr. Ashwini V Swamy
Published on Dec 03, 2018

I have acne scars and acne pits on my cheeks as well as uneven skin tone. What should I do?

Dr. Ashwini V Swamy

Dermatology Venereology
#

Acne scar treatment depends on the type of scar.

Boxcar scar is superficial one-time, can be improved with microdermabrasion combined with peel, derma roller, ice pick scar- small deep scars, improved with TCA CROSS procedure, rolling scar- needs subcision (minor surgical procedure), fractional carbon dioxide laser, hypertrophic scar-intralesional injection of Triamcinolone acetonide to flatten it, then any of the above mentioned treatment modality depending on the result obtained.

In your clinical picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity), I can see you have a few ice pick scars and boxcar scars. Boxcar scars can be improved with a few sessions of medium depth chemical peels. Meet your dermatologist and discuss these options, you can choose which suits you best according to downtime of each procedure, number of sessions, cost. For dark spots, Use Kojic acid cream, apply on top of dark spot at night. It helps to lighten the pigmentation. Use a good sunscreen with SPF 50 in the morning to prevent further darkening of spots.

How to get my acne scars removed?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 24 year old female. My height is 158 cm and my weight is 50 kg. I have severe acne scars on my face, back, lower back and below the neck. I have pimples on my face. I am using Benzoyl peroxide for the same. I have attached my photos here. My problems also include hair fall, thinnin...  Read Full >>

Cosmetologist, Dermatologist, Family Physician, General Practitioner, HIV AIDS Specialist, Plastic Surgeon, Venereologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Benzoyl peroxide will not work on your acne as you are having grade 4 acne (attachment removed to protect patient identity). You need to start Isotretinoin immediately. Let me know your marital status, because you should not get pregnant while on Isotretinoin and at least...  Read Full

I have lot of acne scars on my face that make me look ugly. Please suggest me treatment for the same.

Query: Hello Doctor,    I am 19 years old. I have lot of acne scars on my face and it looks ugly. Doctor advised me to use contractubex but it is of no use. Please suggest some other treatment.  Read Full >>

Dr. Meha Malhotra

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Contractubex gel is topically applied to reduce scars. It is very effective on various types of scars. Other modes of treating scars include: Fractional laser treatment - a non-invasive technique to remove scars. It is the best option but is slightly expensive. ...  Read Full