iCliniq logo

Ask a Doctor Online Now

HomeAnswersDermatologyacne scarsI have acne scars and pits on my cheeks with uneven skin tone. Why?

What causes acne scars and uneven skin tone on my cheeks?

The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Medically reviewed by

iCliniq medical review team

Published At March 8, 2018
Reviewed AtMay 6, 2024

Patient's Query

Hello doctor,

I have acne scars and acne pits on my cheeks as well as uneven skin tone. What should I do?


Welcome to icliniq.com.

Acne scar treatment depends on the type of scar.

Boxcar scar is superficial one-time, can be improved with microdermabrasion combined with peel, derma roller, ice pick scar- small deep scars, improved with TCA CROSS procedure, rolling scar- needs subcision (minor surgical procedure), fractional carbon dioxide laser, hypertrophic scar-intralesional injection of Triamcinolone acetonide to flatten it, then any of the above mentioned treatment modality depending on the result obtained.

In your clinical picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity), I can see you have a few ice pick scars and boxcar scars. Boxcar scars can be improved with a few sessions of medium depth chemical peels. Meet your dermatologist and discuss these options, you can choose which suits you best according to downtime of each procedure, number of sessions, cost. For dark spots, use Kojic acid cream, apply on top of dark spot at night. It helps to lighten the pigmentation. Use a good sunscreen with SPF 50 in the morning to prevent further darkening of spots.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Ashwini. V. Swamy
Dr. Ashwini. V. Swamy


Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Ask your health query to a doctor online


*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy