Q. I need an effective cure for acne.

Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney
Published on Nov 12, 2015 and last reviewed on: Feb 20, 2019

I am a 20 year old male. My weight is 114 kg and I am 5 feet 11 inches tall. I want to reduce my acne as soon as possible. I have a few hard bumps along with normal pimples. Mostly they are painless. I need an effective cure. I have attached a relevant picture. I have been using aloe vera gel now.

Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney

Cosmetology Dermatology Venereology
#

I have gone through your history and attached photograph (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

You should continue with Dermadew acne soap but stop using aloe vera gel. Besides this, you need oral as well as topical medications for your acne. Start with tablet Azithromycin 500 mg once daily for three consecutive days in a week for 4-6 weeks along with Nadifloxacin gel in the morning and Benzoyl peroxide 2.5 percent gel at night on the pimples.

I hope it will help you. If a satisfactory response is not seen in six weeks we might need to add another capsule. You can revert back to me after six weeks for follow up. Also, keep your face dry, avoid applying oily creams and moisturizers, avoid oiling of the scalp, reduce the intake of sugary foods and try to reduce your weight.

Seborrhea and hormonal imbalance.

Acne vulgaris.

Thank u very much for the reply. I have acne since the age of 14 to 15. I am not comfortable with oral antibiotics. And so if possible, can you substitute the oral medicine to another topical agent?

Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney

Cosmetology Dermatology Venereology
#

Even the acne issue exists from your age of 14; it will not change the line of treatment now.

If you are uncomfortable with oral antibiotics, then start with Nadifloxacin gel and Benzoyl peroxide 2.5 percent gel. You can use this for six weeks and then revert back for follow up.

I hope this will help you. If not you need to take oral medication as well.

Acne vulgaris, a Social Problem.

Article Overview: This article discusses the social problems encountered by teens as well as adults due to acne. Read Article

Dr. Kakkar

Acne is the most common skin problem encountered in the teenagers and also in adults. Acne is not a disease by itself, but being chronic in nature, it can have a significant impact in shaping the overall personality of a person. People with acne are often found to have low self-esteem which restrict...  Read Article

Acne - Causes, Types, Home Remedies and Treatment Strategy

Article Overview: Acne is a very common condition encountered among teens and adults. To decide the protocol for the treatment of acne, it is important for us to know the causes, conditions associated, sites of acne, the cause of acne and factors affecting the onset of acne. Many home remedies are helpful in treating acne. Mild and moderate acne can be treated with medication and severe acne with other treatment procedures. Prevention is more important than cure. Read Article

Dr. Archana

Acne is a very common skin condition. It commonly starts during puberty but can occur at any age. Although it is not a dangerous condition, acne can leave scars on the skin. Acne appears in different parts of the body like face, chest, and back. Acne affects almost all teenagers in different severit...  Read Article

Why do I have pimples on the back of my tongue?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 20 years old. A month ago, I noticed few small pimples at the back of my tongue and I thought that they will get alright on their own. But, they have been there for almost a month.  And, I have halitosis too. I often have a sore throat as well, but it is not severe.  Read Full »