Q. Why do stretch marks appear and how can I prevent it?

Dr. Sajeev Kumar
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 16, 2019 and last reviewed on: Aug 20, 2019

I have stretch marks. Why these appear? And how it can be prevented. Please give me an idea of avoiding this disease.

Dr. Sajeev Kumar

Child Health Paediatrics
#

Stretch marks may appear due to the rapid hormonal changes and growth associated with puberty, during pregnancy, or with medical diseases, such as Cushing syndrome. Stretch marks can have causes that are not due to underlying disease. Examples include pregnancy, weight gain in obesity, growth spurts in teenagers, medication side effects, or a rapid increase in muscle size through weightlifting. You can prevent the stretch marks by avoiding immediate changes in weight and by avoiding all the situations as told here to prevent marks.

| 

How to get rid of stretch marks present all over the stomach?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 28 year old male. I weigh 91 kg and my height is 5'10". Currently, I am on no medication. I have stretch marks almost all over my body and have been having this for the last 6-7 years. The stretch marks are present on my stomach, shoulder blades, forearm intersection, lower back...  Read Full »

How can stretch marks be cured?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 21 years old. My main concern is, I have a lot of stretch marks on my body. I had them on my shoulder and thighs since I was 10 years old. Now, I have them even on my belly and biceps area. For the past three months, I have been working out. I do not feel it is because of working ou...  Read Full »

I have gained weight and I have high cortisol level. Do I have Cushing's syndrome?

Query: Hi doctor, I am suffering with hypothyroidism and polycystic ovaries. Over last three years, I have gained 15 kg of weight. I am taking T4 150 mg, Glucophage 850 mg and Yasmin. I think I have Cushing's syndrome. My cortisol level in blood is 34 in the morning but in 24 hour urine test it is in norma...  Read Full »