Q. Can my stretch marks be cured?

Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney
This is a premium question & answer published on Jan 02, 2016 and last reviewed on: Mar 18, 2019

I am 21 years old. My main concern is, I have a lot of stretch marks on my body. I had them on my shoulder and thighs since I was 10 years old. Now, I have them even on my belly and biceps area. For the past three months, I have been working out. I do not feel it is because of working out. Please have a look at the pictures and let me know if they can be cured? What other alternatives do I have? Kindly suggest.

#

I have checked the photographs (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and noticed that you have a lot of old stretch marks on your shoulders and abdomen.

I would suggest you start topical application of Tretinoin cream 0.1% on the stretch marks daily at night. Use it for at least for a period of six weeks and check for any improvement.

In case you do not achieve the desired results, then you can go for laser treatment. In chronic cases, Nd: YAG (neodymium-doped yttrium aluminium garnet) laser and fractional photothermolysis will be used.

1. Seen in adolescence and associated with rapid increase in size of particular region.
2. In weightlifters it is seen, when their muscle mass increases rapidly.

Striae atrophicans.

I will go by your instructions. I would like to know some information about laser treatment, is it painful? 

#

The procedure is performed under topical anesthesia. Generally, it is a painless procedure. At times, there can be mild pain.

|