Cushing's Syndrome

What is the connection between high cortisol and significant weight gain?

Query: Hello doctor, My ACTH level is 43 and my cortisol level is 23.9. I am 25 years old and my weight is 237 lbs with a height of 5'4". What could be the problem? I am currently under Nuva ring 0.3 mg and vitamin D 50,000 units once a week.  Read Full »

Dr. Rahul Ramakrishnan

General Practitioner, Family Physician, Preventive Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your lab reports. (attachment removed to protect patient identity). I need to know what was the reason and why these tests were done in the first place? What were your symptoms and complaints? And also why Nuva ring was started? Kindly get back w...  Read Full »

Apart from Yasmin, what can I take to control PCOS?

Query: Hi doctor, I have PCOS, hypothyroidism and pituitary Cushing's disease. I am taking Yasmin, Glucophage 850 mg and T4 150 mg. As I have to take Metyrapone for Cushing's my doctor recommended stopping Yasmin. But if I stop it, I do not have period for months and I get acne all over my body. What can...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Metyrapone (Metopirone) is an orphan medication that holds the FDA approval (Food and Drug Administration) for the diagnosis of Cushing’s syndrome and is occasionally used off-label for short-term treatment of Cushing’s syndrome prior to surgery. Metyrap...  Read Full »

I have fatty hump on back, with red cheeks, and purple stretch marks. Do I need to be tested for Cushing's?

Query: Hello doctor,Do I need to be tested for Cushing's? I was diagnosed seven years ago as being insulin resistant, and since them, symptoms keep appearing. I have the fatty hump on my upper back, but when asking my doctor, she blamed weight. I ended up looking more in-depth and found a picture from my s...  Read Full »

Cardiologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Considering the symptoms which you have described, the test should be done. You should undergo two of the following criteria since you have a high index of suspicion, 1. The overnight 1 mg Dexamethasone suppression test (DST) which involves taking one mg Dexamethasone ...  Read Full »

I have stretch marks. Why do they appear, and what are the ways to prevent it?

Query: Hello doctor, I have stretch marks. Why these appear? And how it can be prevented. Please give me an idea of avoiding this disease.  Read Full »

Dr. Sajeev Kumar

Child Health Specialist, Family Physician, General Practitioner, Paediatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Stretch marks may appear due to the rapid hormonal changes and growth associated with puberty, during pregnancy, or with medical diseases, such as Cushing syndrome. Stretch marks can have causes that are not due to underlying disease. Examples include pregnancy, weight...  Read Full »

I have gained weight and I have high cortisol level. Do I have Cushing's syndrome?

Query: Hi doctor, I am suffering with hypothyroidism and polycystic ovaries. Over last three years, I have gained 15 kg of weight. I am taking T4 150 mg, Glucophage 850 mg and Yasmin. I think I have Cushing's syndrome. My cortisol level in blood is 34 in the morning but in 24 hour urine test it is in norma...  Read Full »

Dr. Hariharan V

Diabetologist, Family Physician, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Nutritionist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. There may be three possibilities. Either your polycystic ovarian syndrome and hypothyroidism are two separate disorders or it may be a pituitary or autoimmune disease which affects many organs. When did you last check your thyroid levels? If it is too low, then you...  Read Full »

My fiance has gained 40 kg in less than a year. What could be the reason?

Query: Hello doctor, I am concerned about excessive weight gain by my fiance. He is a 29 year old male, whose height is approximately 6 feet, and he weighs 150 kg. Over the last two years, my fiance had lost around 40 kg using the Banting diet, common in our country. It is based on the principles of no ca...  Read Full »

Dr. Rahul Suresh Kulkarni

Internal Medicine Physician, General Medicine Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Based on your description, it is advisable to perform the following tests to rule out any pathological cause of the weight gain.  Thyroid function tests. Liver function test. Kidney function tests. Random and basal cortisol levels to check for an evidence of Cushings'...  Read Full »

Why am I not losing weight in spite of exercise and diet?

Query: Hi doctor, I could not lose weight no matter what I do. I have acne on my chin and cheeks, increased facial hair and my hips, thighs and stomach will not lean out both with exercise and diet. I was told to take Nature-Thyroid for low T3, but felt like my throat swollen up when I take it. It would ma...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Thank you for providing a good history. First of all I want you to take a deep breath and relax. If you could please answer these questions it would be very helpful. Have you been diagnosed with PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome)? Is this the reason for hormones? ...  Read Full »

My friend is suffering from neuropathic pain after a thalamic stroke. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor, My friend, who is a 48 years old female, suffered a CVA three years back. She was diagnosed with a right thalamic hemorrhagic stroke with pericardial effusion, left hemiparesis, autoimmune thyroiditis, hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, ischemic unstable angina, grade 3 obesity, altered glucose...  Read Full »

Dr. Hitesh Kumar

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Thalamus is the part of the brain, through which all sensory information is relayed. After a stroke involving the thalamus, many times, the patient develops thalamic pain syndrome, which is very poorly responsive to medications. But as you told that it was relieved ...  Read Full »

I have hair on my face, hands, and legs. Is this Cushing's syndrome?

Query: Hi doctor,I am a 19 year old female. I have hair on my face, hands, and legs. I have regular periods. My weight is 50 kg, and I am 153 cm tall. Is this Cushing's syndrome?  Read Full »

General Medicine Physician, General Practitioner, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Thanks for your query. Excess unwanted hair at unusual sites requires investigation for any underlying hormonal abnormality even if the cycles are regular. It is routine to go for a few blood tests to look for any underlying hormonal abnormality. Laser hair reduction is a...  Read Full »

Of late, I have a lot of health issues including weight gain, hair loss, and easy bruising. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 43 year old female. My height is 5 feet 6 inches, and I weigh 185 lbs. I feel awful. Please tell me what you think may be wrong. Most of my adult life weight was 150 to 155 lbs. A sudden weight gain started five years ago. My weight is now always in the 175 to 185 range. I eat a...  Read Full »

Dr. Uphar Gupta

General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your history, and commend you for the detailed presentation. You appear to be suffering from Cushing's syndrome. You have probably consumed steroids as a supplement or for pain relief. You have achieved menopause at an early age, but still, we...  Read Full »