Q. How to recover from blood clot in brain?

Dr. Geeta Priyadarsini Kamminana
Published on May 08, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 12, 2019

My father is in ICU since 48 to 50 hours. Blood clot has formed in vein of the brain. His right side of the body is not functioning. Doctors are saying that he is recovering, but very slowly. Please give your opinion.

Dr. Geeta Priyadarsini Kamminana

#

• A stroke is an abrupt deprivation of the blood flow to the brain due to a blockage or the rupture of a blood vessel in the brain.
  • Acute ischemic stroke is caused by thrombotic or embolic occlusion of a cerebral artery and is more common than hemorrhagic stroke.
  • In your father's case it is an acute ischemic stroke and appears to be MCA infarct (middle cerebral artery) according to the topographic distribution.
  • Symptoms will be a combination of weakness in one side of the body, hemifacial droop, loss of speech, dysarthria, confusion, headache, etc.
  • The therapeutic decisions and prognosis depends on NIHSS score (National Institutes of Health Stroke Scale).
  • Now with regard to prognosis it depends on the age, comorbidities and post stroke complications.
  • Management is again a huge topic. The central goal of therapy is to restore circulation and preserve the brain tissue from damage.
  • Many advanced therapies such as recanalization or fibrinolysis requires a window period of three hours.
  • Medical therapy includes antiplatelet drugs like Aspirin, Clopidogrel, anticoagulant like Warfarin in cardioembolic stroke, BP medication, diabetic medication if required and antiseizure medication if required.
  • If a disability has occurred like weakness, then physiotherapy and speech therapy for rehabilitation and promotion of early recovery is required.
  • Yes, recovery is often very delayed and it requires a patient caretaker who provides emotional as well as physical support to the patient.

For further information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

Which blood thinner is safe to be used in pulmonary embolism?

Query: Hello doctor, My father has been diagnosed with pulmonary embolism. What is the safest blood thinner he can use?  Read Full >>

Dr. Rohit Jain

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Pulmonary embolism is a serious condition. We need to deal with it on an urgent basis with higher levels of blood thinners. The safest one is, of course, the mild ones such as Ecosprin (Aspirin), but that is not the drug of choice in pulmonary embolism in acute stages....  Read Full

When can physiotherapy be started after bilateral hip replacement surgery?

Query: Hi doctor, I had bilateral hip replacement surgery done recently. The right hip was replaced last month, and the left hip was replaced this month. Is it advisable to do physiotherapy now?  Read Full >>

Dr. Shakti Mishra
Nutritionist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The day when a hip replacement is done, that day itself, other joint movements should be started as early as possible. First, non-weight-bearing physiotherapy should be done, followed by partial and full weight-bearing exercises. Non-weight bearing movements should be don...  Read Full

Right internal jugular vein was not visualized at the skull base in a MRV. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I had an MRV done. In the report, it said my right internal jugular vein was not visualized at the skull base. What could this possibly mean? It was never followed upon. I get terrible headaches.  Read Full >>

Dr. Vivek Chail

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The internal jugular vein carries blood from the brain and neck area to the heart. There are many reasons for the non-visualization of the internal jugular vein on MRV and the causes can be technical due to slow flow of blood or can be due to a mild compression of the v...  Read Full