Q. How to recover from blood clot in brain?

Answered by
Dr. Geetha Priyadarsini Kamminana
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on May 08, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 12, 2019

Hi doctor,

My father is in ICU since 48 to 50 hours. Blood clot has formed in vein of the brain. His right side of the body is not functioning. Doctors are saying that he is recovering, but very slowly. Please give your opinion.



Welcome to

  • A stroke is an abrupt deprivation of the blood flow to the brain due to a blockage or the rupture of a blood vessel in the brain.
  • Acute ischemic stroke is caused by thrombotic or embolic occlusion of a cerebral artery and is more common than hemorrhagic stroke.
  • In your father's case it is an acute ischemic stroke and appears to be MCA infarct (middle cerebral artery) according to the topographic distribution.
  • Symptoms will be a combination of weakness in one side of the body, hemifacial droop, loss of speech, dysarthria, confusion, headache, etc.
  • The therapeutic decisions and prognosis depends on NIHSS score (National Institutes of Health Stroke Scale).
  • Now with regard to prognosis it depends on the age, comorbidities and post stroke complications.
  • Management is again a huge topic. The central goal of therapy is to restore circulation and preserve the brain tissue from damage.
  • Many advanced therapies such as recanalization or fibrinolysis requires a window period of three hours.
  • Medical therapy includes antiplatelet drugs like Aspirin, Clopidogrel, anticoagulant like Warfarin in cardioembolic stroke, BP medication, diabetic medication if required and antiseizure medication if required.
  • If a disability has occurred like weakness, then physiotherapy and speech therapy for rehabilitation and promotion of early recovery is required.
  • Yes, recovery is often very delayed and it requires a patient caretaker who provides emotional as well as physical support to the patient.

For further information consult an internal medicine physician online -->

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
I am having pulmonary embolism. How to manage it?

.. a lot of causes for pulmonary embolism. The common reason being the clots in the leg called as deep venous thrombosis. It can be due to long-term immobility, and prolonged surgery. When there are no clots in the body, we have to check for any defi...   Read full

What exercise precautions are needed for someone who is not on blood thinners?

.. like to know the age of your patient and whether he is hypertensive. I would advise you to ask your patient to avoid any exercise that would result in an impact e.g. jumping, boxing, or exercises involving the use of weights or resistance bands. T...   Read full

Will physiotherapy help to treat Erb's palsy?

.. for providing the brief history of your daughter. I am sorry firstly to hear that your daughter is being diagnosed with Erb's palsy. Well, I would suggest you to continue physiotherapy for atleast three days a week as it will be of good help for h...   Read full


Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

JAK Inhibitors in Treating Rheumatoid Arthritis
Doctors mainly suggest JAK or Janus kinase inhibitors for patients with rheumatoid arthritis to ease their symptoms. Rea...  Read more»
Importance of Sex Hormones - Types, Functions, Normal Ranges, and Roles
Sex hormones are steroids produced in the body that control sexual development, pregnancy, and overall health. Read belo...  Read more»
Fallopian Tubes - Anatomy, Function, and Diseases Affecting It
Fallopian tubes are important structures of the female reproductive tract. This article discusses the same below.  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Internal Medicine Physician Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.