Q. How to recover from blood clot in brain?

Dr. Geetha Priyadarsini Kamminana
This is a premium question & answer published on May 08, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 12, 2019

My father is in ICU since 48 to 50 hours. Blood clot has formed in vein of the brain. His right side of the body is not functioning. Doctors are saying that he is recovering, but very slowly. Please give your opinion.

Dr. Geetha Priyadarsini Kamminana

#

• A stroke is an abrupt deprivation of the blood flow to the brain due to a blockage or the rupture of a blood vessel in the brain.
  • Acute ischemic stroke is caused by thrombotic or embolic occlusion of a cerebral artery and is more common than hemorrhagic stroke.
  • In your father's case it is an acute ischemic stroke and appears to be MCA infarct (middle cerebral artery) according to the topographic distribution.
  • Symptoms will be a combination of weakness in one side of the body, hemifacial droop, loss of speech, dysarthria, confusion, headache, etc.
  • The therapeutic decisions and prognosis depends on NIHSS score (National Institutes of Health Stroke Scale).
  • Now with regard to prognosis it depends on the age, comorbidities and post stroke complications.
  • Management is again a huge topic. The central goal of therapy is to restore circulation and preserve the brain tissue from damage.
  • Many advanced therapies such as recanalization or fibrinolysis requires a window period of three hours.
  • Medical therapy includes antiplatelet drugs like Aspirin, Clopidogrel, anticoagulant like Warfarin in cardioembolic stroke, BP medication, diabetic medication if required and antiseizure medication if required.
  • If a disability has occurred like weakness, then physiotherapy and speech therapy for rehabilitation and promotion of early recovery is required.
  • Yes, recovery is often very delayed and it requires a patient caretaker who provides emotional as well as physical support to the patient.

For further information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

|