Ischemic Stroke

Are diabets and high blood pressure risk factors of stroke?

Query: Hi doctor, My father is 63 years old. He suffered from a mild stroke yesterday and we would like to seek the second opinion on the proper treatment for his case. He was given Catapres to lower his blood pressure and was asked to continue taking his maintenance medicines for hypertension (Losartan)....  Read Full »

Dr. Aida Quka

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Regarding your concern, I would like to explain that his blood pressure values are normal. I would like to know his symptoms. Did he perform a brain CT scan? As he suffers from diabetes, the most probable cause would be an ischemic stroke (blood clot). For this re...  Read Full »

I have diabetic retinopathy and get nocturnal body pain after ischemic stroke. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, I am 54 years old. I have been diabetic for long years and under insulin. I also suffer from diabetic retinopathy for two years. I did more Avastin injection and laser sessions. Eight months ago, I had an ischemic stroke just a few months after the injections. My blood pressure was v...  Read Full »

General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Rheumatologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I went through your post, you seem to have diabetic neuropathy which is the cause of your erectile dysfunction and easy fatiguability. In addition, there are features of osteoarthritis. Instead of Paracetamol 325 I would suggest sustained-release form like XT Para 1g...  Read Full »

Please interpret my mother's MRI report.

Query: Hi doctor, My mom is 55 years old. We met with a car accident. She got hit near eyebrows and so far she is on the safer side. She does not have any symptoms such as headache, paralysis, etc. Our doctor suggested a CT scan of her head. In the report they found some white matter which is not clear wi...  Read Full »

Criticalcare Physician, Diabetologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Medical Gastroenterologist, Nephrologist, Pulmonologist, Rheumatologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. We are here to help you. This report (attachment removed to protect patient identity) is suggestive of ischemic changes. These findings are incidental and not related to the head injury she had. She needs to be evaluated for the possible causes like high blood p...  Read Full »

Is there a chance for an ischemic stroke attack after ankle surgery?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 49-year-old male. Is it possible to suffer from an ischemic stroke as a result of ankle surgery? The stroke is on the left side of the brain causing paralysis in my right side. I am healthy otherwise.  Read Full »

Andrologist, General Practitioner, Geriatrician, Psychiatrist, Psychologist Counsellor, Psychotherapist, Sexologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. If you were immobilized for a few days after the surgery there is a possibility in the development of deep vein thrombosis in a male above 40 years of age. If suppose that thrombus got dislodged, it may traveled to the brain resulting in ischemic stroke. The possibi...  Read Full »

Is surgery necessary for a blood clot in the brain?

Query: Hi doctor, My father is in ICU since 48 to 50 hours. Blood clot has formed in vein of the brain. His right side of the body is not functioning. Doctors are saying that he is recovering, but very slowly. Please give your opinion.  Read Full »

Dr. Geetha Priyadarsini Kamminana

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. A stroke is an abrupt deprivation of the blood flow to the brain due to a blockage or the rupture of a blood vessel in the brain. Acute ischemic stroke is caused by thrombotic or embolic occlusion of a cerebral artery and is more common than hemorrhagic stroke. In your...  Read Full »

Why are there flow voids in major intracranial vessels?

Query: Hello doctor, I would like to know the diagnosis of this MRI result. Multiplanar and multisequential MRI of the brain without intravenous contrast administration was taken. Single voxel MR spectroscopy through the basal ganglia was also performed. The brain parenchyma demonstrates interval develop...  Read Full »

Dr. Aida Quka

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I read carefully and reviewed the patient MRI report (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and would explain that it shows a progressive brain atrophy (brain cell death) and small ischemic strokes, which could cause progressive dementia. These changes are ...  Read Full »

MRI shows stroke and brain changes. Is it due to untreated sleep apnea?

Query: Hello doctor, The patient underwent extensive routine physical examination including MR/CT imaging and laboratory analysis earlier this month. The MR Brain shows evidence of lacunar stroke and ischemic brain changes. Please advise if these might be connected to untreated obstructive sleep apnea (mor...  Read Full »

Dr. Aida Quka

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I carefully went through your question and the patient's medical history. I reviewed her medical report and the uploaded brain MRI study (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and would explain that those changes are indicative of small vessel disease, whic...  Read Full »

Can reactive thrombocytosis cause stroke?

Query: Hello doctor, I donated plasma through plasmapheresis. When the IV was initially inserted, my blood did not flow through the machine. The technician came by and wiggled the IV, but the blood still did not flow. The technician then switched the IV to my other arm. It began to flow after about five m...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is very rare for reactive thrombocytosis to cause a stroke. It may happen if you have other risk factors for stroke like hypertension and high cholesterol. However, I am hoping that they have ruled out other causes of thrombocytosis (increased platelet count). I und...  Read Full »

Which anticoagulant is best to prevent stroke- Apixaban or Dabigatran?

Query: Hello doctor, My mum has had an ischemic stroke. She is currently taking Warfarin, Bisoprolol, Ramipril, and Furosemide. Despite the Warfarin at 5 mg, her INR is 1.7 (that is outside the therapeutic range). She is 41 kg and age is 76. She is being encouraged by her doctor to change the anticoagulan...  Read Full »

Dr. Kks

Hematologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. As per the history, it looks like it is getting difficult to manage with Warfarin. Warfarin is notorious in terms of interacting with many other drugs and thereby it is difficult to achieve the target therapeutic level. So, now newer oral anticoagulants are used with...  Read Full »

Two strokes detected on the CT and MRI. How to deal with?

Query: Hello doctor, My 62-year-old mother had a slight cognitive impairment. She has the following medical conditions: High blood pressure for which she is on Concor 5 Plus High blood glucose for which she is on Galvus 50 and Insulin Three stents in her heart operated 18 months ago and she is o...  Read Full »

Dr. Shivam Om Mittal

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have reviewed the MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) brain report (attachment removed to protect patient identity). I am sorry to say but I do not agree with the diagnosis of subacute stroke as per the radiology report. The MRI that was done shows two lesions which ...  Read Full »