Ischemic Stroke

Is there a chance for an ischemic stroke attack after ankle surgery?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 49-year-old male. Is it possible to suffer from an ischemic stroke as a result of ankle surgery? The stroke is on the left side of the brain causing paralysis in my right side. I am healthy otherwise.  Read Full »

Andrologist, General Practitioner, Geriatrician, Psychiatrist, Psychologist Counsellor, Psychotherapist, Sexologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. If you were immobilized for a few days after the surgery there is a possibility in the development of deep vein thrombosis in a male above 40 years of age. If suppose that thrombus got dislodged, it may traveled to the brain resulting in ischemic stroke. The possibi...  Read Full »

Is surgery necessary for a blood clot in the brain?

Query: Hi doctor, My father is in ICU since 48 to 50 hours. Blood clot has formed in vein of the brain. His right side of the body is not functioning. Doctors are saying that he is recovering, but very slowly. Please give your opinion.  Read Full »

Dr. Geeta Priyadarsini Kamminana

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. A stroke is an abrupt deprivation of the blood flow to the brain due to a blockage or the rupture of a blood vessel in the brain. Acute ischemic stroke is caused by thrombotic or embolic occlusion of a cerebral artery and is more common than hemorrhagic stroke. In your...  Read Full »

Why are there flow voids in major intracranial vessels?

Query: Hello doctor, I would like to know the diagnosis of this MRI result. Multiplanar and multisequential MRI of the brain without intravenous contrast administration was taken. Single voxel MR spectroscopy through the basal ganglia was also performed. The brain parenchyma demonstrates interval develop...  Read Full »

Dr. Aida Quka

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I read carefully and reviewed the patient MRI report (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and would explain that it shows a progressive brain atrophy (brain cell death) and small ischemic strokes, which could cause progressive dementia. These changes are ...  Read Full »

MRI shows stroke and brain changes. Is it due to untreated sleep apnea?

Query: Hello doctor, The patient underwent extensive routine physical examination including MR/CT imaging and laboratory analysis earlier this month. The MR Brain shows evidence of lacunar stroke and ischemic brain changes. Please advise if these might be connected to untreated obstructive sleep apnea (mor...  Read Full »

Dr. Aida Quka

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I carefully went through your question and the patient's medical history. I reviewed her medical report and the uploaded brain MRI study (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and would explain that those changes are indicative of small vessel disease, whic...  Read Full »

Can reactive thrombocytosis cause stroke?

Query: Hello doctor, I donated plasma through plasmapheresis. When the IV was initially inserted, my blood did not flow through the machine. The technician came by and wiggled the IV, but the blood still did not flow. The technician then switched the IV to my other arm. It began to flow after about five m...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is very rare for reactive thrombocytosis to cause a stroke. It may happen if you have other risk factors for stroke like hypertension and high cholesterol. However, I am hoping that they have ruled out other causes of thrombocytosis (increased platelet count). I und...  Read Full »

Which anticoagulant is best to prevent stroke- Apixaban or Dabigatran?

Query: Hello doctor, My mum has had an ischemic stroke. She is currently taking Warfarin, Bisoprolol, Ramipril, and Furosemide. Despite the Warfarin at 5 mg, her INR is 1.7 (that is outside the therapeutic range). She is 41 kg and age is 76. She is being encouraged by her doctor to change the anticoagulan...  Read Full »

Dr. Kks

Hematologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. As per the history, it looks like it is getting difficult to manage with Warfarin. Warfarin is notorious in terms of interacting with many other drugs and thereby it is difficult to achieve the target therapeutic level. So, now newer oral anticoagulants are used with...  Read Full »

Two strokes detected on the CT and MRI. How to deal with?

Query: Hello doctor, My 62-year-old mother had a slight cognitive impairment. She has the following medical conditions: High blood pressure for which she is on Concor 5 Plus High blood glucose for which she is on Galvus 50 and Insulin Three stents in her heart operated 18 months ago and she is o...  Read Full »

Dr. Shivam Om Mittal

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have reviewed the MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) brain report (attachment removed to protect patient identity). I am sorry to say but I do not agree with the diagnosis of subacute stroke as per the radiology report. The MRI that was done shows two lesions which ...  Read Full »

What does my CT scan indicate?

Query: Hello doctor, My CT scan impression is as follows: hypodensity seen in right external capsule - infarct. Diffuse cerebral atrophy. Lacunar infarcts in bilateral basal ganglia, corona radiata and centrum semiovale.  Read Full »

Dr. Aida Quka

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Regarding your concern, I would explain that these CT scan findings indicate repeated small ischemic strokes related to uncontrolled high blood pressure. I would recommend performing a Doppler ultrasound of the carotid arteries to exclude any possible significant nar...  Read Full »

CALR Exon 9 mutation is detected. Do I have to worry?

Query: Hello doctor,I am a 46-year-old male. A month ago, I had a heart stroke and underwent angio for blood clotting thrombus. My CBC report at that time shows a platelet count at 24 lakhs. I received CALR Exon 9 mutation analysis report today. It reads "CALR Exon 9 mutation is detected by PCR amplificati...  Read Full »

Dr. Mohammed Parvez

Internal Medicine Physician, General Medicine Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You have very high levels of platelets which are called 'primary thrombocytosis' or 'essential thrombocytosis', which was confirmed by CALR Gene mutation test. This condition will results in either clots or sometimes bleeding in any part of the body. There are few t...  Read Full »

How to prevent clots and blockages after an ischemic stroke?

Query: Hello doctor, My 71 year old mother got a couple of ischemic strokes nearly two months ago. She was then given a strong blood thinning injection which led to a couple of blood vomits and a hemorrhage as well. During the hospitalization as well as afterward, she has been taking Pradaxa 110, etc. (pr...  Read Full »

Cardiologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through the files attached (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The clots which are found at so many places in the body are basically originating from the heart and being thrown into the body as she is post-MVR (mitral valve regurgitation) for...  Read Full »