Q. How can I cure stye with painful dry eyes?

Dr. Manjunath Natarajan

I have recently developed something that looks like a stye but is not where most are positioned. The stye is on the center of the eyelid just above the pupil area when the eye is closed. I was wondering how to get rid of it as it is disturbing my vision every often. The eye is dry all the time and aches once in a while but the stye is not painful at all. If there is any help or advise you could give to attend this matter, that would be highly appreciated.

#

I have gone through your photo attachments (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and understand your concerns. Since the swelling is not at the eyelid margin, it could be an internal type of the stye called hordeolum internum. A stye is expected to have symptoms such as pain, redness and watering and frequently goes away with treatment in a few days.

Suppose the swelling has been present since a few weeks and has no pain, it might have progressed from a stye to a chalazion, this stage needs surgical treatment. There also is the possibility that the swelling may not be a stye. It could a cystic or fibrous swelling. A simple eye examination will be able to diagnose these lesions. So, I advise you to continue with the eye ointment and give hot fomentation with a clean cloth or some cotton. This will help for both stye and chalazion. If the swelling shows no signs of reduction, I suggest that you meet with an ophthalmologist.

| 

Why am I having dry eyes after LASIK surgery?

Query: Hi doctor, Seven months ago I had LASIK surgery on my eyes and I still have dry eyes especially after taking a shower everything becomes so dry. My eyes, ears, even nose, and vagina. I went to a dermatologist who prescribed Accutane, Vitamin A for my acne. Then he said that he cannot prescribe it u...  Read Full »

Am I getting frequent stye because of antibiotic resistance?

Query: Hello doctor, Three weeks ago, I had an internal stye and my doctor prescribed oral antibiotics. But, in the end, it became a chalazion, plus some pus was drained. Now, the stye is coming back and it itches a lot (I can see a big white spot in my eyelid margin). It is not as bad as it was before, b...  Read Full »

I have dry eyes, eye strain and stinging due to constant computer use. What should I do?

Query: Hello doctor, I am having dry eye problems since the last three years due to heavy computer usage. The eyes feel dry, and sometimes there is burning. Reading strains my eyes. I take Omega 369 tablets when this problem occurs, and then I would be alright for 15 to 30 days. But, it would resurface af...  Read Full »

What should I take to relieve Flagyl induced constipation?
Hello doctor, I am a 29-year-old female. I am trying to overcome constipation caused by the Flagyl antibiotic, and I do...  Read more»
How long should my dad continue the same dosage of medicines after a stent surgery?
Hello doctor, My father had a heart stent operation six months ago. Doctor prescribed some medicines, and still, he is u...  Read more»