Q. Will dry eyes cause blurring of vision?

Dr. Asif Manzoor
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 29, 2019 and last reviewed on: Jul 21, 2022

Would dry eyes cause cloudy vision with little nonmoving black dots? This is my normal vision and every once in a while I can see perfectly. The eye doctor said everything in the eye looks perfect. I have noticed when I sleep one eyelid does not close all the way but this is the vision in both eyes. I did have a vitrectomy in one eye and the other is still in need of cataract surgery.

#

Yes, dry eyes can cause blurring of vision. As you said you feel your one eye is not closed properly while sleeping, so there is a greater chance of getting cornea dry and can lead to exposure keratopathy. But you have not mentioned any history of stroke or Bell's palsy? Did you have any? Did your doctor notice that you are unable to close one eye properly?

Your BMI (body mass index) is also high so with obesity, there is a condition related to floppy eyelid in which eyelids are more elastic and get everted while sleeping that can also cause dry eyes. You said you had vitrectomy in one eye. Please explain why was that advised? Are you having diabetic retinopathy or you had a vitreous hemorrhage or retinal detachment? Or you had similar black spots in that eye too?

These black spots in vision may also be due to vitreous liquefaction and condensation, which is age related problem. Jelly in the back of your eye starts becoming liquid after 50 years of age. So you can use artificial tear drops or dry eye and the eye you feel does not close properly. You can also patch your eye while sleeping with simple tape. So that your cornea does not get dry out.

Your eye doctor is doing a great job. He has examined your eyes so he knows better and he will do the best. You can discuss with him if anything missed like if you have not told him about incomplete closure of the eye during sleep.

|