Q. I noticed a broken blood vessel in my left eye with some discomfort. What should I do?

Dr. Bachar Khoury
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 11, 2020 and last reviewed on: Mar 19, 2020

I take Lisinopril for blood pressure, Symbicort for asthma, Metformin for PCOS, and Flonase for allergies. Today I was sitting and just talking and I got a pain in my left eye. I went to the restroom and looked in the mirror and I guess I had a broken blood vessel. What is worrying me is it is not that painful but I have discomfort to touch and it feels scratchy. Please suggest.

Dr. Bachar Khoury

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

This is called subconjunctival hemorrhage. It happens when a blood vessel bursts and gives some blood out, under the superficial layer of the eye called conjunctiva. It happens because of high pressure in the vessel like high blood pressure or coughing or constipation or holding heavy objects. The treatment usually is only by lubricant eye drops if it happens for the first time. But if it is recurrent every week or so, you should go for blood tests: PT (prothrombin time), PTT (partial thromboplastin time), INR (international normalized ratio) for blood coagulation tests.

Finally, since you are coughing, so there is an obvious cause for the bleeding. I recommend to treat it with installing any lubricant eyedrops a few times a day. The eye should go back to normal in about ten days to two weeks. If not or if it happens again go to your doctor for blood tests.

Subconjunctival hemorrhage.

| 

This is an Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the ad.

I have a yellowish bump in the conjunctiva and redness around it. What do you suggest?

Query: Hello doctor, There is a yellowish bump on the conjunctiva, near my cornea in the left eye. After waking, both eyes are red, especially around the bump. Also, it seems that in both my eyes, towards the nose a brown margin emerges from the limbus. What treatment do you recommend for that?  Read Full »

Kindly suggest a treatment for dry eyes.

Query: Hi doctor, I spend nine hours daily in front of a computer for the last five years. I have developed dry eye problem before two years and consulted a doctor. The doctor suggested Omega 369 tablets (Fultos 369) for 15 days and an eye drop (Softdrops) daily. The dry eye problem cured after taking tabl...  Read Full »

After an eye injury, what are the reasons for developing a red spot?

Query: Hi doctor, My husband's eye got hurt with my finger accidentally. Now his eye hurts and can barely open. There is a red spot on the white area of his eye. What do we do? Please help.  Read Full »