Q. Is there any emergency observed in this head CT scan report?

Dr. J Mariano Anto Bruno Mascarenhas
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 04, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jun 17, 2020

The patient met with an accident. She is 47 years old. In the accident, she had a collar bone fracture and a hit in the back of the brain. The back of the head is bulging and some spots are observed in the brain CT scan. I have attached the head CT scan report for your reference. Please help.

#

I have gone through your query with diligence and would like you to know that I am here to help you.

• I understand that the patient has been involved in an RTA (road traffic accident) and that there is a collection of fluid within the brain.
  • Can you please specify your exact question?

Revert back with the answer to the above question to a neuro surgeon online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/neuro-surgeon

The patient met with an accident 8 days back. From the last 2 days, she is having mild head pain. We would like to know what could be the next course of action from our side. Is there any major medical emergency, you observe that we need to address? Or can we go ahead with general physician? For your information, I have attached the head CT scan report.

#

• The patient is suffering from left subdural hygroma of 4.5 mm maximum thickness with midline shift of 2.5 mm (attachment removed to protect patient identity).
  • This means that there is a fluid collection inside the skull between the skull and the brain on the left side and this fluid collection is pushing the brain to the right side. Hence the brain is compressed.
  • Because of this compression, the part of the brain, which is supposed to be in the middle, has been pushed to the right by 2.5 mm.
  • This has produced the headache. This is an emergency and needs urgent attention. The patient may even require surgery. Please consult a neuro surgeon immediately.

For further doubts consult a neuro surgeon online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/neuro-surgeon

|