Sutures

Why are the stitches in my mouth coming loose?

Query: Hi doctor, I had gum graft surgery a couple of days ago. Now, the swelling has gone down around the graft site. I am noticing that some of my stitches on one side are loose and coming out. Should I be worried about this? There is no bleeding. Otherwise, it appears to be healing. I have attached phot...  Read Full »

Dr. Naveen Thomas

Dentist, Endodontist, Pedodontist, Periodontist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The suture or stitches are self-dissolving, then will get loosen and dissolve in the course of time. I have seen the pictures (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The gum grafts are adequately placed and tight as required. You do not need to worry about it. T...  Read Full »

A 3-year-old has injured his eye. Is corneal suture a right treatment?

Query: Hello doctor,My nephew is 3-year-old and had injured his eye, and now doctor said suturing is required. So please tell me what is the outcome of corneal sutures, and is this a right treatment?   Read Full »

Dr. Ramgopal P

Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I am sorry to hear about the incident that happened with your nephew. The right treatment for this condition is to repair with suturing. However, it is to be seen what the size of the injury is, and if any other structures inside the eye have been damaged. If it is a...  Read Full »

The area around naval region has sunken after C-section. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, I had a C-section delivery last month. Although stitches are healed and I am not having any trouble in the incision area. Since the last one month I am noticing that the area around my navel region has sunken in. I am having a rounded depression starting from the belly button to downw...  Read Full »

Dr. Deepti Kurmi

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen your images (attachment removed to protect patient identity). This is not abnormal. Your tummy fat is dissolving which was accumulated during pregnancy. Your uterus is also sinking that is why your tummy appearance is like this. It might take a couple of mon...  Read Full »

Will local anesthesia under sedation decrease pain while suturing?

Query: Hi doctor,My surgeon is recommending local anesthesia with sedation for an umbilical hernia. It is a small hernia as per the surgeon, and a small incision and perhaps 1 or 2 stitches on the abdomen will be needed to repair it and perhaps a small mesh on top if needed. I have had a terrible experienc...  Read Full »

Dr. Sukhdev Garg

Anesthesiologist, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I hope you are doing fine. Coming to your query, the efficacy of local anesthesia depends on various factors like the expertise of anesthetist, drugs used, adjuvants, the amount of drug used, etc. For a small and uncomplicated hernia, local anesthesia with sedation i...  Read Full »

Should stitching be done immediately for a gash above the eyebrow?

Query: Hello doctor,A 6-year-old boy had an accidental fall while riding a scooter. Got a gash above the eyebrow. He was wearing spectacles, and the lens might have caused the gash. Took him to the nearby hospital, where they have given painkillers and antibiotics. They have not stitched up the gash. We ar...  Read Full »

Dr. Amit Modi

Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is good if the primary treatment was given immediately. As the wound is on the face, above the eyebrow, it would be advisable that a plastic surgeon does the suturing. As it would be cosmetically better in all aspect. Waiting overnight would not cause any major di...  Read Full »

The dentist removed an extraction site stitch, an hour back. Can I swallow and drink water now?

Query: Hi doctor, I got a lower left wisdom tooth removed, and I went to a dentist after four days. And he removed the stitch and put Alvogyl. I am at home, and it has been an hour, and I have saliva in my mouth. Can I swallow it and drink water? I am not sure if they said after 40 minutes to rinse or not ...  Read Full »

Dr. Purva Jingar

Dentist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, you can swallow and after 40 minutes, you can rinse too if the site is cured and there is no cut visible. I suggest you try the doing the following for a few days: Do not stretch the mouth a lot. Give yourself rest and do not eat spicy food. Rinse your mouth with...  Read Full »

From my MRI reports, how long will the cut on top of my knee take to heal?

Query: Hello doctor, I got a deep cut on the top of my knee, that is, a laceration. In the MRI, it says that there is a partial ACL tear, LCL sprain, and a longitudinal tear in the medial meniscus. I have 15 stitches on top of my knee. Currently, I am taking rest with braces on the knee. I have kept the kn...  Read Full »

Dr. Atul Prakash

Fitness Expert, Orthopaedician And Traumatologist, Physiotherapist, Spine Health Specialist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. There are two things that you need to be aware of. The damage outside the knee, that is, the cut you are mentioning will take two weeks to heal, and sutures should have been taken out by now if the wound healed without an infection. The damage within the knee, that is...  Read Full »

What is the time frame within which a bleeding wound needs to be stitched?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a wound. I know that it need stitches, but that is not an option at the moment. How long have I got to seek medical attention if it has not stopped bleeding?  Read Full »

Dr. Arvind Guru

General Surgeon, Surgical Gastroenterologist, Surgical Oncologist

Answer: Hi,Welcome to icliniq.com.You already know that you need to visit a doctor. So, do not delay it.The timeline you asked depends on the site of injury, total amount, and the rate of bleeding.The bleeding should usually stop within 10 to 20 minutes if undisturbed. If it does not, then either you have i...  Read Full »

My son got a cornea injury. Will his vision be alright?

Query: Hi doctor, My son, who is 6 years old, got an injury in the right cornea by a sharp pencil. The cornea was repaired with six stitches. After 18 days, cataract surgery was done. The next day morning after removing the patch, he saw clearly in open eye. But, from today, he could not see through his ri...  Read Full »

Dr. Shikha

General Practitioner, Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Did he get any surgery for cornea, except sutures? Immediately after cataract surgery, it may be possible to see clearly. But, usually it takes around six weeks to regain vision. Keep using the drops. Do not worry. For further information consult an eye care ophthalmo...  Read Full »

Got injured eyes and stitches done. Will I be able to open my eyes?

Query: Hi doctor, I met with an accident and glass went inside my eyes. I got stitches inside the eye and on my eyelashes. I am not still able to open my eye after five days. My vision is clear. X-ray and CT scan reports are also normal. After how many days will I be able to open my eye?  Read Full »

Dr. David J Mathew

Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. From what you have described, you have undergone suturing inside your eye, which means that you had a corneal or conjunctival injury. Your treating ophthalmologist will remove the sutures when adequate healing has taken place. As long as the sutures are there you will ha...  Read Full »