Sutures

Is it possible to regain vision after a corneal injury?

Query: Hi doctor, My son, who is 6 years old, got an injury in the right cornea by a sharp pencil. The cornea was repaired with six stitches. After 18 days, cataract surgery was done. The next day morning after removing the patch, he saw clearly in open eye. But, from today, he could not see through his ri...  Read Full »

Dr. Shikha

General Practitioner, Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Did he get any surgery for cornea, except sutures? Immediately after cataract surgery, it may be possible to see clearly. But, usually it takes around six weeks to regain vision. Keep using the drops. Do not worry. For further information consult an eye care ophthalmo...  Read Full »

How many days will it take to open my eye after eye surgery?

Query: Hi doctor, I met with an accident and glass went inside my eyes. I got stitches inside the eye and on my eyelashes. I am not still able to open my eye after five days. My vision is clear. X-ray and CT scan reports are also normal. After how many days will I be able to open my eye?  Read Full »

Dr. David J Mathew

Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. From what you have described, you have undergone suturing inside your eye, which means that you had a corneal or conjunctival injury. Your treating ophthalmologist will remove the sutures when adequate healing has taken place. As long as the sutures are there you will ha...  Read Full »

Are stitches necessary for broken glass injury?

Query: Hi doctor, Last night, I accidentally cut my thumb on a bit of broken glass from a photo frame. It looks fairly deep. I think I could see my bone. As I could not go to hospital yesterday night, I have covered it with plasters. Do I need to get stitches?  Read Full »

General Medicine Physician, General Practitioner, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, the cut wound is deep enough (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and  you will need stitches. Meanwhile, you need to keep the affected area clean and dry. Wash with lukewarm water and apply a topical antibiotic cream like Neosporin (Bacitracin, Neomycin...  Read Full »

Is it safe to take an extra dose of Panadeine after tooth removal?

Query: Hi doctor, Before 25 years, I had root canal treatment on my lower second molar. As I had a broken canal on the same tooth, it was surgically removed a few days ago. The stitches have healed, but still I have pain. The medication reduces pain, but I am worried as if I am taking an extra dose of Pa...  Read Full »

Dr. Nupur Prashant Shah

Dentist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I suggest you to take only prescribed dosage not beyond it. If still pain occurs, then I suggest Augmentin Duo 625 mg (Amoxicillin and Clavulanic acid) and Acuvin (Paracetamol) twice in a day at the interval of 12 hours for five days. Consult your doctor, discuss with h...  Read Full »

Why are the stitches in my mouth coming loose?

Query: Hi doctor, I had gum graft surgery a couple of days ago. Now, the swelling has gone down around the graft site. I am noticing that some of my stitches on one side are loose and coming out. Should I be worried about this? There is no bleeding. Otherwise, it appears to be healing. I have attached phot...  Read Full »

Dr. Naveen Thomas

Dentist, Endodontist, Pedodontist, Periodontist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The suture or stitches are self-dissolving, then will get loosen and dissolve in the course of time. I have seen the pictures (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The gum grafts are adequately placed and tight as required. You do not need to worry about it. T...  Read Full »

A 3-year-old has injured his eye. Is corneal suture a right treatment?

Query: Hello doctor,My nephew is 3-year-old and had injured his eye, and now doctor said suturing is required. So please tell me what is the outcome of corneal sutures, and is this a right treatment?   Read Full »

Dr. Ramgopal P

Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I am sorry to hear about the incident that happened with your nephew. The right treatment for this condition is to repair with suturing. However, it is to be seen what the size of the injury is, and if any other structures inside the eye have been damaged. If it is a...  Read Full »

The area around naval region has sunken after C-section. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, I had a C-section delivery last month. Although stitches are healed and I am not having any trouble in the incision area. Since the last one month I am noticing that the area around my navel region has sunken in. I am having a rounded depression starting from the belly button to downw...  Read Full »

Dr. Deepti Kurmi

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen your images (attachment removed to protect patient identity). This is not abnormal. Your tummy fat is dissolving which was accumulated during pregnancy. Your uterus is also sinking that is why your tummy appearance is like this. It might take a couple of mon...  Read Full »

Will local anesthesia under sedation decrease pain while suturing?

Query: Hi doctor,My surgeon is recommending local anesthesia with sedation for an umbilical hernia. It is a small hernia as per the surgeon, and a small incision and perhaps 1 or 2 stitches on the abdomen will be needed to repair it and perhaps a small mesh on top if needed. I have had a terrible experienc...  Read Full »

Dr. Sukhdev Garg

Anesthesiologist, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I hope you are doing fine. Coming to your query, the efficacy of local anesthesia depends on various factors like the expertise of anesthetist, drugs used, adjuvants, the amount of drug used, etc. For a small and uncomplicated hernia, local anesthesia with sedation i...  Read Full »

Should stitching be done immediately for a gash above the eyebrow?

Query: Hello doctor,A 6-year-old boy had an accidental fall while riding a scooter. Got a gash above the eyebrow. He was wearing spectacles, and the lens might have caused the gash. Took him to the nearby hospital, where they have given painkillers and antibiotics. They have not stitched up the gash. We ar...  Read Full »

Dr. Amit Modi

Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is good if the primary treatment was given immediately. As the wound is on the face, above the eyebrow, it would be advisable that a plastic surgeon does the suturing. As it would be cosmetically better in all aspect. Waiting overnight would not cause any major di...  Read Full »

The dentist removed an extraction site stitch, an hour back. Can I swallow and drink water now?

Query: Hi doctor, I got a lower left wisdom tooth removed, and I went to a dentist after four days. And he removed the stitch and put Alvogyl. I am at home, and it has been an hour, and I have saliva in my mouth. Can I swallow it and drink water? I am not sure if they said after 40 minutes to rinse or not ...  Read Full »

Dr. Purva Jingar

Dentist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, you can swallow and after 40 minutes, you can rinse too if the site is cured and there is no cut visible. I suggest you try the doing the following for a few days: Do not stretch the mouth a lot. Give yourself rest and do not eat spicy food. Rinse your mouth with...  Read Full »