Q. How to remove a magnet that was swallowed by a 3-year-old girl?

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A

My 3-year-old granddaughter swallowed a thin magnet 11 days ago. We have been three times to the ER for X-rays. It is in the lower intestine but has not moved for several days. Today at the hospital, the surgeon said they would not attempt a colonoscopy or any procedure. If it remains in the intestine for 30 days, (as long as no infection), then they will remove it. Is this normal procedure for a metal magnet?

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

Child Health Paediatrics

Yes, what is described by the surgeon is right. However, I would advise for you to feed the child more of bananas so that it may help to push the magnet out. In such a case, we need to watch out for any intestinal obstruction that may result due to the magnet. This can develop at any time and may result in an emergency. The warning signs for you should be abdominal distention, excessive vomiting episodes of undigested or semi-digested food particles and the child not passing stools at all, severe abdominal pain, and the sudden collapse of the child.

Any of these signs occur, it is an emergency, and the child should be taken to the nearest hospital immediately. Also, you should watch out for any fever episodes with any form of the clinical worsening of the child's condition. If these signs do not occur, it is advisable to monitor the position of the magnet either daily or on alternate day basis by doing an x-ray abdomen. In most cases, the magnet usually comes out on its own without any external intervention. However, in very rare circumstances, a response based on the position of the magnet in the intestine is performed if the magnet stays inside for long periods or if any of the signs mentioned above develop.

Why is my baby having loose motions for so many days?

Query: Hello doctor, My baby is 12 days old. He is having loose motions from the third day of birth. I gave him cow's milk for the first and the second day and he was fine. When I started breastfeeding him on day 3, he started having loose motions. His stools are not the same all the times; sometimes, it i...  Read Full >>

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim
Child Health Specialist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Please do not give cow's milk to the baby. You can either breastfeed or give him formula feed, but not cow's milk as it does not contain nutrition in the required amounts. It is normal for the children below the age of 6 months to pass stools up to 15 times a day or once ...  Read Full

Ciprofloxacin (CIPRO)

Article Overview: If you are suffering from a bacterial infection, your doctor would have prescribed Ciprofloxacin. Know its uses, dosage, and side effects now. Read Article

Dr. K Sneha
General Medicine Physician

What Is Ciprofloxacin? Ciprofloxacin is an antibiotic that belongs to the Fluoroquinolone group, which is used to treat various bacterial infections affecting many parts of the body. It treats infection by preventing bacteria from replicating and growing. It is prescribed for uncomplicated urinary ...  Read Article

Ask a Doctor Now