Abdominal Distention

Can Glycerin suppository be used twice a week for a 2-month-old baby?

Query: Hello doctor, My 2 month old daughter started passing stool irregularly, from the past eight days. She was passing a lot of gas, but it did not smell. Seeing no improvement, we took her to the pediatrician, who said she had gas in her stomach. So, he gave her Decolic, Neopeptine, and Glycerin suppo...  Read Full »

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. This must probably be your first child, that is why this query. Please note that children under the age of six months may pass stools either 10 to 15 times a month or once in 2 to 3 days. And it is absolutely normal. You should be worried only if the child has not passed ...  Read Full »

Why does my son crave for cement and not food?

Query: Hello doctor, My 9-year-old son has less diet than his peers since the age of 5 years. After regular deworming, he still craves to eat cement and tastes it. 10 months back, he was found anemic and was treated for the same. Now for the last five to six months, his stomach has come out (bloated) and ...  Read Full »

Dr. Hardika Kothari

Paediatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. As per the age of your child, his weight and height are fine. There is no stunning or wasting indicating any malnutrition. Height of both parents would help in the assessment of his growth potential. Kindly mention the height of mother and father also. You have m...  Read Full »

What does high ALT and AST values with abdominal distension in chronic alcoholic indicate?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 49 years old and I have been drinking approximately 350 ml of vodka every day for approximately 10-15 years. I also have smoked half pack a day for 30 years but just recently quit. For the past year and a half (maybe even two years) I have had diarrhea daily. I went to a doctor w...  Read Full »

Dr. Hiren Patel

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I think there are multiple issues. You need proper workup. Your ALT (alanine transaminase) / AST (aspartate transaminase) are due to alcohol-related liver disease, better is to do USG (ultrasound) abdomen. Other issues are, I had gone through your blood reports (at...  Read Full »

A 3-year-old girl swallowed a magnet 11 days ago. What is the management?

Query: Hello doctor, My 3-year-old granddaughter swallowed a thin magnet 11 days ago. We have been three times to the ER for X-rays. It is in the lower intestine but has not moved for several days. Today at the hospital, the surgeon said they would not attempt a colonoscopy or any procedure. If it remains...  Read Full »

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, what is described by the surgeon is right. However, I would advise for you to feed the child more of bananas so that it may help to push the magnet out. In such a case, we need to watch out for any intestinal obstruction that may result due to the magnet. This c...  Read Full »

9 months old child has swallowed balloon. What to do?

Query: Hi doctor, My son is 9 months old and has swallowed balloon. Post that he had food. He had no breathing problem. Now he is sleeping. What should I do now?  Read Full »

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Please give the child laxative food like banana, rice, etc., to help the child pass stool. Usually, the balloon should come out from stools in 24 hours if it has gone into the stomach. It is less likely that it may have gone into the wind pipe because there is no bre...  Read Full »

After laparoscopy, my tummy has become extremely distended. Is it due to infection?

Query: Hi doctor, I had a laparoscopy done five weeks ago and also a D and C was done. When I woke up from it, I had an extremely distended abdomen. It was hot to touch and obviously swollen. I was told that this was from the oxygen they used. Since that night, my belly is always gurgling and distended. I ...  Read Full »

Dr. Purushottam Sah

Obstetrician And Gynaecologist, Sexologist, Andrologist, Infertility Specialist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your belly should have been normal by this time. If it is still swollen, then you should do an ultrasound test of the abdomen to see if there is any problem. For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online -->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-docto...  Read Full »

My son has a sharp pain in the temple area if he moves his neck. Please advise.

Query: Hello doctor, This question is regarding my 10 year old son. He takes professional coaching for badminton and plays for almost four hours daily since the last four months. Ever since he started playing badminton, he complains of occasional neck pain, shoulder pain, and back pain. His coach said that...  Read Full »

Dr. Brungi Mahesh

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. According to the history, the pain is mainly because of postural problems and lack of physical training. The shifting nature of pain is not due to the ice bath. It might be psychological. My advice is to consult a sports physiotherapist and change his postures (postur...  Read Full »

Please read my CT scan and explain about the stomach pain.

Query: Hi doctor, I am suffering from stomach pain for 10 years with diarrhea and constipation. Also, there has been on and off liver pain and pain around my female area. I got married for 10 years. I had five healthy pregnancies and nine very early miscarriages in between for unknown reasons. I have a h...  Read Full »

Dr. Vivek Chail

Family Physician, General Practitioner, Radiodiagnosis Physician, Radiologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. There is a small cyst like area in the right lobe of the liver. However, this should not be causing any pain or discomfort in the right upper abdomen. There is an evolving umbilical hernia and probably causing you to have abdominal distension. It is not something you sho...  Read Full »

Why is my baby having loose motions for so many days?

Query: Hello doctor, My baby is 12 days old. He is having loose motions from the third day of birth. I gave him cow's milk for the first and the second day and he was fine. When I started breastfeeding him on day 3, he started having loose motions. His stools are not the same all the times; sometimes, it i...  Read Full »

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Please do not give cow's milk to the baby. You can either breastfeed or give him formula feed, but not cow's milk as it does not contain nutrition in the required amounts. It is normal for the children below the age of 6 months to pass stools up to 15 times a day or once ...  Read Full »