Q. Swallowed a piece of plastic fork. Will it dissolve and pass through?

Dr. Geeta Priyadarsini Kamminana
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 08, 2016 and last reviewed on: Sep 07, 2019

About 9 hours ago, I swallowed a 1 inch piece of plastic fork. Will it damage my intestine, colon or anus? Or will it dissolve and pass through? Please explain.

Dr. Geeta Priyadarsini Kamminana

#

• Plastic is inert and indigestible. Hence, it will pass down the digestive tract unabsorbed and unknowingly in the stool.
  • However, if the fork tine you have consumed is sharp, then there is a probability of it getting stuck or piercing intestinal wall. If you have any symptoms like abdominal pain, constipation or vomiting or melena, then visit the emergency room (ER).
  • Otherwise, you can stay cool and just have more water and fiber diet, which will help in enhancing intestinal motility and throwing out in poop.
  • Also, you have to be more careful and never repeat that again.

For further information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

| 

How to get rid of gas problem?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a heavy gas problem with heaviness on head and neck. I am a diabetic with 72 age, weight 60 kg, and height 160 cm.  Read Full »

Why Should You Consume Superfoods?

Article Overview: Superfoods are those foods which provide amazing benefits to a person as they are nutritionally dense and packed with antioxidants and phytonutrients. I am not talking about something artificial or difficult to find or expensive nutrition powders, but interestingly we have been blessed with them as it is all naturally available. Read Article

Dr. Krystel Quadros
Wellness Medicine Specialist

Following is a list of superfoods you should consume for its amazing benefits: 1. Blueberries Blueberries are called the 'king of antioxidants'. This title is indeed very apt owing to the vitamins and minerals present in blueberries. Blueberries contain a group of compounds called as anthocyanins ...  Read Article

Constipation In Children - Causes, Prevention, and Management

Article Overview: Constipation in children is often unrecognized and neglected by most. This article discusses the causes, symptoms, diagnosis, and treatment for constipation in children. Read Article

Dr. Babu Lal Meena
Paediatrician

Constipation in children is a common disorder. About 10-30% of patients attending pediatric gastroenterology OPD (Out Patient Department) have the disorder of fecal elimination. As we know constipation is a well identified and easily noticebale disorder in adults. But it is not so easy to identify ...  Read Article