Q. Why am I getting some recurrent swelling in neck that goes away in some days?

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A

For four weeks I had glands in my neck it swells and then recedes, and then returns to swelling again. Chest and backaches or cramps accompany this. Is this hypothyroidism?

Do you have a question on Swelling In The Neck or Hypothyroidism?

Ask a Doctor Now

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf

MBBS., MRCGP INT., PGDIP ENDOCRINOLOGY AND DIABETES,LONDON UNIVERSITY
Diabetology Endocrinology

I read your query and from what you described it appears that you have some upper respiratory tract infection, which could be giving the lymph node swelling in your neck, which is associated with your muscle cramps. These are not thyroid gland swellings according to me because the thyroid swelling does not increase or decrease in size so rapidly.

I would advise you to do complete blood count, a urine dipstick test to rule out whether you have any infection and a simple TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) test that is a thyroid function screening test to diagnose any thyroid disorder. Try to take tablet Paracetamol 500 mg thrice a day for your cramps in the meantime. I hope to see your lab results soon and wish you good health.

Also Read Answers From: Swelling In The Neck Hypothyroidism

What could be causing extreme lymph node pain in the neck?
Query: Hi doctor, What could be causing the extreme pains in my lymph nodes under my neck and tingling the in head? Should I see a doctor in person? I had a sinus infection a month ago when the neck pains suddenly appeared. I was given antibiotics. It got rid of my other sinus symptoms, but not the lymph ...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The first possibility of meningitis is unlikely. It would cause fever, severe headache and patient will be very sick. I do not think this to be a lymph node pain because lymph nodes will hurt only when they enlarge in a short duration of maximum one or two wee...  Read Full »

I am having intermittent palpitations. Is it due to hypothyroidism?
Query: Hello doctor, I am 28 years old. Experiencing intermittent palpitations from last three months. ECG, echo, TMT is normal. The lipid profile shows increased triglycerides in serum 189 mg/dl. Recently, I was diagnosed with subclinical hypothyroidism for which I am taking Levothyroxine from last one m...  Read Full »
Dr. Salam Salloum

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Please be advised that a normal ECG while you do not have the palpitation feeling, is not diagnostic of the palpitation. You need to have a cardiac monitor. If the palpitation happens every day, then a 24 hours cardiac monitor should pick them up. If they happen every 2...  Read Full »

Can hypothyroidism be cured with only ayurvedic medicines?
Query: Hello doctor, I would like to know if my hypothyroidism can be cured without taking the synthetic hormones, through Ayurveda only. In the allopathic approach, the hormone needs to be taken for the rest of one's life and I am a bit scared of it. It is possible I may also be diabetic and will need to ...  Read Full »
Dr. Alka

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I just read your query and saw all your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The thyroid gland makes thyroid hormones on a regular basis because it is necessary daily for metabolism and for other body functions. That is why when it is prescribed o...  Read Full »

Trending

Trending

Ask a Doctor Now