Q. Why am I getting some recurrent swelling in neck that goes away in some days?

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf
Published on Jul 03, 2019

For four weeks I had glands in my neck it swells and then recedes, and then returns to swelling again. Chest and backaches or cramps accompany this. Is this hypothyroidism?

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf

Diabetology Endocrinology
#

I read your query and from what you described it appears that you have some upper respiratory tract infection, which could be giving the lymph node swelling in your neck, which is associated with your muscle cramps. These are not thyroid gland swellings according to me because the thyroid swelling does not increase or decrease in size so rapidly.

I would advise you to do complete blood count, a urine dipstick test to rule out whether you have any infection and a simple TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) test that is a thyroid function screening test to diagnose any thyroid disorder. Try to take tablet Paracetamol 500 mg thrice a day for your cramps in the meantime. I hope to see your lab results soon and wish you good health.

| 

What could be causing extreme lymph node pain in the neck?

Query: Hi doctor, What could be causing the extreme pains in my lymph nodes under my neck and tingling the in head? Should I see a doctor in person? I had a sinus infection a month ago when the neck pains suddenly appeared. I was given antibiotics. It got rid of my other sinus symptoms, but not the lymph ...  Read Full »

I am having intermittent palpitations. Is it due to hypothyroidism?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 28 years old. Experiencing intermittent palpitations from last three months. ECG, echo, TMT is normal. The lipid profile shows increased triglycerides in serum 189 mg/dl. Recently, I was diagnosed with subclinical hypothyroidism for which I am taking Levothyroxine from last one m...  Read Full »

Can hypothyroidism be cured with only ayurvedic medicines?

Query: Hello doctor, I would like to know if my hypothyroidism can be cured without taking the synthetic hormones, through Ayurveda only. In the allopathic approach, the hormone needs to be taken for the rest of one's life and I am a bit scared of it. It is possible I may also be diabetic and will need to ...  Read Full »

Ask an Endocrinologist Now