Q. Why is there swelling in neck behind ear and a swollen tooth?

Dr. Satyajit Jalinder Pawar

My father is having a swelling in the neck behind the ear. Also, he is suffering from a swollen tooth. He is now taking treatment of root canal. Can you please suggest the reason for swelling in the neck? Is this a serious disease like cancer? What to do for this swelling?

#

I would like to know few details like:

1. Since when he has noticed this swelling?
  2. Is there swelling anywhere else like in neck or armpits?
  3. Any fever, cough, throat pain or weight loss?
  4. Any history of TB (tuberculosis), smoking or tobacco?
  5. Any ulcer in the mouth?

There can be a few reasons for this swelling. Like:

1. Reactive due to the swollen tooth.
  2. Viral infection of the throat.
  3. Scalp infection.
  4. Cancer of oral cavity or lymph nodes.

What I will advise you is complete the treatment for swollen tooth and also take a course of antibiotics for the same. Of still, the swelling is persistent then you need to get it checked. Best is to show a physician who will examine in detail and also to get basic blood tests like CBC (complete blood count), ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate), LFT (liver function test) and X-ray chest. He might also need an FNAC (fine needle aspiration cytology) depending on how his symptoms and reports are.

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

|