Q. Is a hardened cord on top of penis a blocked artery?

Dr. Mashfika N Alam
Published on Apr 11, 2018 and last reviewed on: Jul 16, 2019

I have a hardened cord on the top of my penis that runs centrally from the base, it has been there for three days. It is slightly to the right of the vein. The skin is slightly pink and it runs a couple of inches and is completely solid. I fear a blocked artery. What is this likely to be as I am unable to see my GP for a couple of weeks. I am 30 years old.

Dr. Mashfika N Alam

Family Physician General Practitioner
#

From your symptoms, it could be a hardened lymph vessel or an inflamed vein. Not a blocked artery as that would cause a lot of severe symptoms. A few details would help to identify the cause like, does it become prominent after vigorous sexual activity, or does it remain prominent throughout the day. Are there other symptoms of erectile dysfunction or discomfort during sexual activities? Also is the area hot and tender to the touch? I am looking at thrombophlebitis or lymphangiosclerosis but I need some more details to be close to the diagnosis. Also, I might be able to suggest an investigation depending on your symptoms if need be. Do let me know so that we can get to the bottom of this. Aspirin or Ibuprofen might be required after confirming the diagnosis.

For more information consult a general practitioner online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-practitioner

| 

Thank you for your response. There is no tenderness or pain, merely an awareness of it. The skin is slightly red but not aggressively so. I am on Citalopram. So I would imagine my blood is on the thinner side making a clot less likely.

Dr. Mashfika N Alam

Family Physician General Practitioner
#

What you have is a self-limiting condition and it should resolve on its own in a few weeks. Abstaining from any sexual activity is recommended until it resolves as sex or masturbation can make it worse. A Doppler ultrasound can help confirm the diagnosis. Do let me know if symptoms worsen or if you develop redness or it gets painful. Also, let me know if you have other symptoms like pain during urination.

| 

How can hemorrhoids be treated?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 47-year-old female. I have hemorrhoids that are really causing me pain these days. Can you suggest me any over-the-counter creams or medications? Do I really need to see a doctor?  Read Full »

Ask a General Practitioner Now