What are the symptoms of lymphangiosclerosis?

Q. Is a hardened cord on top of penis a blocked artery?

Answered by
Dr. Mashfika N Alam
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 11, 2018 and last reviewed on: Jun 23, 2023

Hello doctor,

I have a hardened cord on the top of my penis that runs centrally from the base, it has been there for three days. It is slightly to the right of the vein. The skin is slightly pink and it runs a couple of inches and is completely solid. I fear a blocked artery. What is this likely to be as I am unable to see my GP for a couple of weeks. I am 30 years old.



Welcome to icliniq.com.

From your symptoms, it could be a hardened lymph vessel or an inflamed vein. Not a blocked artery as that would cause a lot of severe symptoms. A few details would help to identify the cause like, does it become prominent after vigorous sexual activity, or does it remain prominent throughout the day. Are there other symptoms of erectile dysfunction or discomfort during sexual activities? Also is the area hot and tender to the touch? I am looking at thrombophlebitis (inflammation of a vein wall due to clot) or lymphangiosclerosis (hardening of lymph vessel) but I need some more details to be close to the diagnosis. Also, I might be able to suggest an investigation depending on your symptoms if need be. Do let me know so that we can get to the bottom of this. Aspirin or Ibuprofen might be required after confirming the diagnosis. Thank you and take. Regards.

Hello doctor,

Thank you for your response. There is no tenderness or pain, merely an awareness of it. The skin is slightly red but not aggressively so. I am on Citalopram. So I would imagine my blood is on the thinner side making a clot less likely.



Welcome back to icliniq.com.

What you have is a self-limiting condition and it should resolve on its own in a few weeks. Abstaining from any sexual activity is recommended until it resolves as sex or masturbation can make it worse. A Doppler ultrasound can help confirm the diagnosis. Do let me know if symptoms worsen or if you develop redness or it gets painful. Also, let me know if you have other symptoms like pain during urination. I hope this helps. Thank you and take care. Regards.

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
How can hemorrhoids be treated?

.. is an external hemorrhoid or if thrombosed or thrombophlebitis, it may cause pain. Eat a high-fiber diet. Avoid spicy food and alcohol. Do regular exercise and drink plenty of water. Use syrup Lactulose 30 ml at night.   Read full

Chymoral forte taken for edema in legs resulted in penile swelling. Kindly help.

.. Your father has swelling above the penis which is reduced after passing urine. Recently he took Chymoral forte. No urinary issues like dribbling or thinning of stream. Alright, I actually appreciate if I could see the picture of the swelling.   Read full

Swelling on head of penis after masturbation. What is it?

.. these questions, so that I can help you better. Do you masturbate a lot? If so, how many times in a week? Is it done by lying on bed and pressing your penis? Did you get fever since the swelling? Revert back with the information to an internal medicine   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

PCOS and Liver Problems
The hormonal imbalances in polycystic ovary syndrome could cause liver diseases. Read the article to know the relationship between these medical conditions.  Read more»
Inferior Alveolar Nerve Lateralization Technique
The inferior alveolar nerve lateralization technique is a surgical lateralization technique to reposition the nerve. Read the article to know more about this.  Read more»
COVID-19 and Ebola: Similarities and Differences
This article gives a comparison and broader overview of the outbreak of the two deadliest diseases that showed a greater incidence over the last two decades.  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a General Practitioner Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.