Q. Both my ankles are swollen after a flight travel. Why?

Dr. Babu Lal Meena
Published on Nov 07, 2019 and last reviewed on: Nov 09, 2019

I just had a flight and have swollen ankles on both legs. I have attached the photos. The swelling is tender and no pain or redness. I just had a check-up one week ago, and all my blood reports are normal.

My standard medications are:

For HP, Irbesartan 150 mg a day and Metoprolol 50 mg twice a day.

Escitalopram 10 mg for anxiety once a day.

Pantoprazole 40 mg twice a day for my gastritis.

Pancreatin 625 mg three times a day for avoiding pancreatitis attacks.

Please advise.

Dr. Babu Lal Meena

Child Health Medical Gastroenterology Paediatrics
#

I have seen the photos. (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

This is a common problem not only after the flight but also after prolonged traveling. It occurs due to prolonged immobilization, and due to increased blood circulation and decreased venous return, it will improve after frequent mobility of the joint and walking. The only problem I am worried about you is your underlying hypertension and on medication. So, it could be CCF (congestive cardiac failure) due to fluid overload or excessive stress. But heart problem will have dyspnea and fatigue and decreased urine out put, that is not in your case. So my advise is to walk frequently, keep your legs slightly elevated above the pillow. It will disappear by the next morning.

Advice:

1. Move your limbs, use loose cloths.

2. Take adequate rest.

3. Continue your medication.

4. If any time you have fatigue, difficulty in breathing, or decreased urine output, please visit the nearest emergency room.

Why does one develop swelling after snake bite?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 40 year old female. I got cottonmouth bite on the back of the left and right ankle. Three people saw and confirmed that as cottonmouth. I do not believe much venom was released. It happened under shallow water. I got immediate pain as if repeatedly the ankle and feet got hit with a...  Read Full >>

Dr. Arul Amuthan
Pharmacologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I could understand your crisis. Usually in the absence of venom in the blood, the following are the possibilities: The snake bite site may get sepsis (infected with bacteria) and that spreads to the whole leg. Trauma to nearby objects during the act of escaping...  Read Full

What does my baby's echocardiogram report indicate?

Query: Hi doctor, My baby's heart rate is 110 beats per minute. During examination, the echocardiogram shows S1 normal, S2 split 3/6 and continuous murmur at left infraclavicular region. What does the information indicate?  Read Full >>

Dr. Rishu

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen the reports of echocardiogram (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The patient has a condition called patent ductus arteriosus. Usually ductus arteriosus closes at birth of a baby, but sometimes, it remains patent and does not close naturally....  Read Full