Q. What are the causes of swollen ankles and legs?

Dr. Geetha Priyadarsini Kamminana
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 08, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am having extreme swelling from under the breast to the belly. My legs and feet are also very swollen and painful. I have gained 40 pounds in two years with no change in diet or activity. My lower legs and ankles were swollen about a year ago. I went through all the horrible heart testing and finally, my heart is fine. My current medications are Bupropion, Carvedilol, Cetirizine, Furosemide, Losartan, Potassium, Hydrochlorothiazide, Gabapentin and Norco.

Dr. Geetha Priyadarsini Kamminana

#

Swelling of feet and ankle is known as pedal edema. Edema occurs due to the accumulation of fluid in the tissues.

There are many causes of edema. One is congestive cardiac failure or right heart disease. As this progress, it appears in abdominal wall too.

• Is the edema pitting or does it pits on applying pressure with your index finger for 5 seconds and released and disappear?
  • Did you ever notice prominent neck vessels? Do you have asthma or lung problems or shortness of breath while doing your regular routine?
  • Is there any right sided abdominal pain or tenderness localized just under the rib cage on the right side?
  • For how long you have been having elevated BP? Do you have facial puffiness?
  • Did you observe any decrease in the urine output or frothy urine? Do you have hypothyroidism?

Edema revolves around cardiac, liver and renal that is kidney. It would have been great if you upload 2D echo report, ECG (electrocardiogram) and chest x-ray.

Serum albumin, CUE (complete urine examination) to look for urine protein, 24 hour urine volume and protein and thyroid profile are a few tests required.

Your blood pressure is perfect; hence the dose of the diuretics cannot be further increased.

Curtail salt in food. Another drug by name Spironolactone or Aldactone or Lasilactone can be introduced, which is cardio protective. Consult your specialist doctor and discuss with him or her regarding the above medicine.

For further information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

|