Q. What causes bump in the gums?

Dr. Beryl Fredrick
and medically reviewed by Dr. Hemalatha
Published on Jan 17, 2020

For the past week I had gotten a small round bump on my lower gum. It is just in the corner at the lowest part of the gum so I have to pull my mouth open with my fingers just to see it. It does not hurt or bleed. But it has not gone away and it has gotten a whitish color to it. I also got the soreness on the tip of the tongue this morning. I am quite careful with my teeth and brush or rinse regularly every day so I am confused to what may have caused this. This morning I woke up with a redness on the tip of my tongue too. I wonder if it is because I have poked the bump with it just to feel wether it is still there. I have switched to Peroxyl mouthwash to see if this may solve it. Can you advise me on what this maybe? I am a little worried.

#

It could be a common aphthous ulcer (canker sore). It has various causative factors. It could be because of vitamin deficiencies, hormonal changes, psychological stress, allergies, accidental trauma or bacterial infection. A clear clinical picture of the ulcer or bump will help to determine what is it and what caused it. If that is an aphthous ulcer, it may take a couple of weeks for it to resolve. Redness on the tip of the tongue could be due to constant rubbing of the bump or ulcerated area. White tissue over that area could be healing tissues. Please do not disturb them.

Meanwhile, 1. Avoid hot and spicy foods. 2. Do warm saline mouth rinses thrice daily. 3. Rinse mouth after every meal. 4. Drink lots of water and keep yourself hydrated at all times.

Maintaining good oral hygiene and following the above said instructions will prevent further infection of the ulcer and promotes faster healing. If required, if it hurts, a topical anesthetic like Orajel can be applied over the ulcer with a clean finger. I hope this helps.

Good day.

| 
1 out of 1 likes

Why is my gum swollen at the back?

Query: Hello doctor, I got a swollen gum at the back of my last tooth on my left side. It feels like a new teeth is coming up and the pain sometimes extends to ear also. I can remember that I got this pain few years back on my right side and it went away by itself. What should I do now? What is the reason...  Read Full »

How to treat swollen gum near the molar?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 21 years old. I have got a swelling in gums near the area of wisdom tooth for the past three days. Now, it is paining a lot. Please prescribe any medicine.  Read Full »

Why am I having white spots on gums?

Query: Hi doctor,I have a small white dot on my gums. It looks like a whitehead. I noticed it a couple of days ago. It is painless. It is just above my left canine. I do not know what it is. It is towards the top of the gum. I have attached the photo. Can you suggest what it could be? I am scared of the de...  Read Full »